Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I deal with 45,000 unactivated accounts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I deal with 45,000 unactivated accounts?

I've recently been hired to manage a community whose forums have over 127,000 registered users, of which 81,000+ have activated their accounts. This leaves me with 45,066 accounts which have never been activated; some of the accounts are as old as May 2003.

I know I can send out a mass email to their user group with the $activatelink variable in the body, but I'm concerned because of the sheer number of accounts, the bounce messages which will of course come back, etc. I'd like to keep the accounts rather than deleting them, and hopefully get their owners to activate them.

Suggestions on how to handle this, and things to be aware of, would be greatly appreciated.

-Cip

Personally if they are that old forget about it Seriously.

For me I would just delete anything older than 30 days that are not activated and just send a mailer to the rest.

I would bet if you look through them there is probably a bunch with emails like [email protected] and stuff like that. Probably a good amount are just junk signups.

If the site has that many members I am sure the growth rate is pretty good and you'll have no problem recouping the loss.
    Last edited by indiamike; Wed 23rd Mar '05, 8:40am.

Comment

Originally posted by Cip
      the bounce messages which will of course come back
      You can specify a return address on the mass e-mail. I always use something like [email protected], which isn't set up on my mail server, so they'll never be seen.
      vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

I was thinking the same thing - that most of them would be junk signups - but actually they appear to be valid addresses for the most part. Hence my interest in getting them activated. The forums are for a massively-multiplayer online role-playing game that's still in development, so a good portion of these people will come back when the game goes into beta.

I get a couple of emails a day that say things like "I signed up a year ago and still can't post on the forums, why?" So they're not all dead accounts.

-Cip

Comment

I've installed a template conditional for certain usergroups. When that user logs on, they get a usergroup-specific message. For example, I inactivate members who haven't logged on for 3 months. I place them into usergroup X (Inactivated). When they get on the board next, every page shows the following message in red:

"Your account has been inactivated. To reactivate, send an email to: [email protected] "

Works like a charm. I do that for banned people too, and have created a custom (hidden) profile field that tells why they were banned, which shows in the text message.
          Last edited by Dennis Olson; Thu 10th Feb '05, 8:12am.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Olson
            I've installed a template conditional for certain usergroups. When that user logs on, they get a usergroup-specific message. For example, I inactive members who haven't logged on for 3 months. I place them into usergroup X (Inactivated). When they get on the board next, every page shows the following message in red:

"Your account has been inactivated. To reactivate, send an email to: [email protected] "

Works like a charm. I do that for banned people too, and have created a custom (hidden) profile field that tells why they were banned, which shows in the text message.
            how did you install this special conditional?

Comment

In the HEADER template of your style, include the following code....

BELOW:

<!-- content table -->
              $spacer_open

<br />

INSERT:

Code:
              <if condition="$bbuserinfo[usergroupid] == X">
                 <div align="left" style="color: red; background-color: white; border: 1px solid black; padding:2px">
              	<b>Your membership has been terminated.<br /><br />

<if condition="$bbuserinfo[field8]">
                         Reason: $bbuserinfo[field8]
                      </if>
                      </b>
                 </div>
              </if>

<if condition="$bbuserinfo[usergroupid] == Y or $bbuserinfo[usergroupid] == Z">
                 <div align="left" style="color: red; background-color: white; border: 1px solid black; padding:2px">
              	<b>Your membership has been inactivated. You can email <a href="mailto:[email protected]?subject=Reactivate%20TB%20membership">[email protected] </a> to request reactivation. Please specify your board name.</b>
                 </div>
              </if>

<if condition="$bbuserinfo[usergroupid] == A">
              	<b>You are in Timeout. You can only post to <a href="http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=94">THIS FORUM</a>. You should check your PMs for information regarding how long you're assigned to TO. If you haven't been reinstated at the end of that period, you can email <a href="mailto:[email protected]?subject=Reinstate%20from%20Timeout">[email protected] </a> to request reinstatement. Please specify your board name.</b>
                 </div>
              </if>
              X = banned usergroupID
              Y & Z = Inactivated usergroups (different reasons for the inactivation, hence different usergroupIDs.)
              A = Usergroup of people "suspended" for trolling (etc)

FIELD8 is the field name of the custom (private) user profile field where I place the reason for their being banned.

NOTE: Be sure to substitute your own email addy and website URL anyplace you see mine in the above code.

Comment

In the HEADER template of your style, include the following code....

BELOW:

<!-- content table -->
                $spacer_open

<br />

INSERT:

Code:
                <if condition="$bbuserinfo[usergroupid] == X">
                	<b>Your membership has been terminated.<br /><br />

<if condition="$bbuserinfo[field8]">
                           Reason: $bbuserinfo[field8]
                        </if>
                        </b>
                   </div>
                </if>

<if condition="$bbuserinfo[usergroupid] == Y or $bbuserinfo[usergroupid] == Z">
                	<b>Your membership has been inactivated. You can email <a href="mailto:[email protected]?subject=Reactivate%20TB%20membership">[email protected] </a> to request reactivation. Please specify your board name.</b>
                   </div>
                </if>

<if condition="$bbuserinfo[usergroupid] == A">
                	<b>You are in Timeout. You can only post to <a href="http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=94">THIS FORUM</a>. You should check your PMs for information regarding how long you're assigned to TO. If you haven't been reinstated at the end of that period, you can email <a href="mailto:[email protected]?subject=Reinstate%20from%20Timeout">[email protected] </a> to request reinstatement. Please specify your board name.</b>
                   </div>
                </if>
                X = banned usergroupID
                Y & Z = Inactivated usergroups (different reasons for the inactivation, hence different usergroupIDs.)
                A = Usergroup of people "suspended" for trolling (etc)

FIELD8 is the field name of the custom (private) user profile field where I place the reason for their being banned.

NOTE: Be sure to substitute your own email addy and website URL anyplace you see mine in the above code.
                I like that.

it should also be noted, when you make a new field, you need to substitue field8 in the code above with the field number you are using for that field.

Just a suggestion
                To make it so others can use that code you can substitue the Whole webaddress for

HTML Code:
                <a href="$vboptions[bburl]/index.php?$session[sessionurl]">$vboptions[hometitle]</a>
                or

HTML Code:
                <a href="$vboptions[homeurl]">$vboptions[hometitle]</a>
                the coding you used is find, but if you use the built in phrase system, it makes for easier coding.

Hope you don't mind me using this code but modifying it a bit beyond the web addresses.
                Last edited by Neocorteqz; Tue 8th Feb '05, 10:26pm.

Comment

Neo, knock yerself out. If you come up with a tasty final result, feel free to PM it to me, so I can use it too...

Comment

Neo, knock yerself out. If you come up with a tasty final result, feel free to PM it to me, so I can use it too...
                    Nothing special, I have a suspended usergroup as well as a couple of banned usergroups. I have a sepcific forum they can view to plead their case if they choose to, but only if an admin starts a thread about them.

code used is.

HTML Code:
                    <!-- Banned/Suspended Members -->
                    <if condition="$bbuserinfo[usergroupid] == 12 OR $bbuserinfo[usergroupid] == 18">
                    	<b>You have been banned. Once an admin has posted a thread with your name (located <a href="$vboptions[bburl]/forumdisplay.php?f=56">here</a>), you may post requesting your reinstatement to our forums. Or reasons why you feel you were wrongly banned.Note that an admin Has to post a thread for you to reply in.<br /><br />

<if condition="$bbuserinfo[field10]">
                    		   Reason: $bbuserinfo[field10]
                    		</if>
                    		</b>
                       </div>
                    </if>

<if condition="$bbuserinfo[usergroupid] == 17 OR $bbuserinfo[usergroupid] == 31">
                    	<b>You Have been suspended or Have requested to be banned. You can email <a href="mailto:$vboptions[webmasteremail]?subject=Reactivate%20Account">Nemesis Staff</a> to request reactivation. Please specify your board name.<br />
                    <if condition="$bbuserinfo[field11]">
                    		   Reason: $bbuserinfo[field11]
                    		</if>
                    </b>
                       </div>
                    </if>
                    <!-- / Banned/Suspended Users -->
                    Nothing too complicated, although I may decide to do something slightly different later on down the road.

But your Original Code works well, and is a great idea.

You can use $vboptions[webmasteremail] instead of the actual email address.

again if anyone uses either code sets posted. you need to replace the field value with your own.
                    Last edited by Neocorteqz; Thu 10th Feb '05, 1:33am.

Comment

Kewl. I'll use it!

Thanks a bunch!

Comment

I'm back.

One of the biggest problems I'm facing is that if my users don't receive the activation email, they don't know they're not activated. All they know is they're logged in but can't post any messages or replies.

Is there a way to provide a link to the user to re-send themselves the activation email so I don't have to manually re-send the codes or activate them? I shudder to think of how time-consuming that could be with only a 50% response rate from my unactivated accounts!

I'll put in a conditional template for my unactivated accounts telling them they're not activated, but being able to provide a link that automatically generates the email to their account would be extremely helpful. Is this possible?

Until I can get the conditional template implemented I was thinking of posting in my Announcements forum for people to email us if they find they can't post - but again, the time involved by not being able to automate it is really prohibitive (I am the only one managing this forum currently, and coding changes are implemented by another team).

-Cip

Comment

Originally posted by Cip
                          I was thinking the same thing - that most of them would be junk signups - but actually they appear to be valid addresses for the most part. Hence my interest in getting them activated. The forums are for a massively-multiplayer online role-playing game that's still in development, so a good portion of these people will come back when the game goes into beta.

I get a couple of emails a day that say things like "I signed up a year ago and still can't post on the forums, why?" So they're not all dead accounts.

-Cip
                          I'd get rid of all those unactivated accounts, without much ado. Seriously. Because nothing is lost, really; they haven't posted yet, so you risk to lose no data at all.

Also, if it took them a year or so to contact you, then you can draw the safe inference that getting onto your board did not have their highest priority to begin with. And were they unable to contact you, then they are no worse off with their unactivated account yanked, either.

So, time to cut some dead wood.

I would, in your case, quickly examine whether, or why, those people who email you have not received an email from your server, though. Other than that, I would seriously not bother.

- Mark

System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
                          "If you were supposed to understand it,
                          we wouldn't call it code." - FedEx

Comment

A hack is available at vBulletin.Org, that gives you the ability and various options for pruning inactive users, if it is of any interest to you

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...threadid=75740

Comment

Originally posted by asarian
                              Also, if it took them a year or so to contact you, then you can draw the safe inference that getting onto your board did not have their highest priority to begin with. And were they unable to contact you, then they are no worse off with their unactivated account yanked, either.
                              Thanks for the reply. We're in a semi-unique position in that the community revolves around a game that's slipped in development over several years, so people sign up accounts to check in now and then to see what's going on with it, but never realize they're not activated until the first time they try to post. So someone may finally, after a few months, want to ask a question and only then realize there's a problem but not understand why. The product website hasn't been updated for several months so people who may have signed up accounts ages ago but never posted are starting to turn to the forums for information.

I have no problem purging completely dead/trash accounts, but a huge portion of these are not actually dead or trash and my goal is to get them activated first before beginning a purge. A mass delete of accounts will no doubt alienate some of them and the community is already sort of alienated (long story).

Besides, if I suddenly dropped the size of the community by 33% I'd probably get fired no matter what my reasoning was.

-Cip

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X