Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not all registered users have same options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not all registered users have same options?

My registered usergroup settings show that they cannot have custom titles, but some registered users have them? I go into their profile settings and manually change them.

Is there a way to change this setting in mass? or by running some DB query? Thanks

Some members are almost certainly in other usergroups as well. Check ALL the usergroup permissions these members are in.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

No, these users are not in other usergroups??

Only in the registered usergroup. I thought I saw a thread around this site awhile back where there were options to make mass usergroup permission settings? But I can't seem to find it?

Does that ring a bell or make sense?

Comment

Do you have any hacks installed? Honestly there is no way in the default vB to have members of the exact same usergroup (and not additional groups) have different permissions. Some hacks are known to cause usergroup permission problems.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Steve, thanks for your prompt replies and information. Yes, I have several hacks installed But I was unaware of any usergroup issues. But I could have sworn I saw a thread on vb.com, a sticky if I that had a several list of querys to run to do change several settings, I thought they were usergroup settings, but cant remember for sure.

I've had this problem for several months, and I thought it was strange how different users in the same exact usergroup have different permissions. hmmmm.... Thanks again for your help.

If anyone else knows of the thread I am referring to, please feel free to post a link.

Comment

As I tried to say, if they are in the same usergroup and do not have additional usergroups, then they will have the same permissions - on an unhacked forum. (The only possible exception is user masks which can be sset to allow specific persons access to specific forums regardless of usergroup.)

If this is not the case, then one of your hacks broke this function. There is no query or setting to fix this. The only fix I know of is to either fix the hack, or restore the original vB files.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Thanks again for your support, I will check into the hacks and see if they are creating this problem.

Here is some additional information that might be related.

I used to have a secondary usergroup called > 50 post, where I had gave that usergroup additional perks such as custom user title and a few others. I recently changed things around and deleted that usergroup, when I deleted the usergroup, I was prompted with a message that said something like:

If you delete this usergroup, all members of this usergroup will revert to the Registered usergroup. I agreed and all these users were changed to the registered usergroup.

But it appears that this group of users are the ones that still have some of these perks, even though they are now only the registered usergroup that shouldn't have these perks. This is also around the time I noticed this happening.

Again, this could still be a problem with a hack as you mentioned before, but I wanted to share this additional information in case there could be a bug with deleting secondary usergroups and permission setting changes, and not being consistant with the new usergroup???

Thanks again for your time.

Comment

Hmmm.....given this new info perhaps some settings did not get changed when you deleted that group. Have you tried resaving the Registered Usergroup settings, then updating the user counters?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I think so, but not sure, I just updated counters and will wait to see if I find more issues and report back. Thanks again for your help.
                  Last edited by heynurse; Thu 20 Jan '05, 12:31pm.

Comment

I updated the user titles and I still have several users who still have custom user titles. I have attached an image of a users profile from the admincp of a user who is a registered user, and should not have custom user titles as an option but does.

Is there at least a way to do a search for users who have their Custom User Title set to yes? If we can't run a query and automatically change the setting, then at least we can manually modify the users profiles.

Thanks
                    Attached Files

Comment

I think that is a bitfield in the option field of the user table. I'm not sure how to construct that query unfortunately.

Do you want to delete ALL custom titles for EVERYONE in a particular usergroup? If so, this query will do it:

UPDATE user SET customtitle='' WHERE usergroupid='x';

...with 'x' being the appropriate usergroupid number. You should backup your database first.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Working...
                      X