Email Prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Prob

I cant get the emails to send. Activation emails, mass emails or anything. Is having the wm email set as an MSN address to blame ?
    Rebel Designs Studios

Do you receive the test email?

Admin CP -> Import & Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Email

If not, then try toggling this option:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Enable "-f" Parameter

If it still doesn't work, then you should contact your host. vBulletin relies on PHP being correctly configured to send email.

Comment

HEHE, thanks Jake, i did that just before i saw you replied. Sorry for posting a new thread before trying a few options

BTW thanks for all the great support guys, i know you get a lot of bs from ppl but you do an AWSOME job. Kudos to you all
      Rebel Designs Studios

Comment

hey, I'm having the same problem, and neither of those solutions helped. My server is not sending out any e-mails, so what should be done?

Comment

And could you share what the email diagnostics showed?

vB uses PHP's mail() function for all its email and uses the SMTP server specified in php.ini. If PHP and the mail server are configured correctly then email will work.
          You will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what happened to those emails that don't work. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. If you are on a shared server you may need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.

For what it's worth I get a lot of bounced emails from people who's mail boxes are full, 'unavailable' or over quota. This is a particular problem with hotmail and yahoo accounts. Unless you are on a dedicated server and can set where these bounce messages go, you will never see them. The mail logs will have a record of these though.

Another thing to keep in mind is that many ISPs and mail clients are putting in very aggressive spam filters. It's possible these emails are being placed into a spam folder or are being filtered.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

now what

The mailing function returned an error while trying to send the mail.Check your mail server to ensure it is configured correctly to allow PHP to send mail from it. You should also check your mail server's error log for more diagnostic information.now what lol.......

Comment

I cant find a place with e-mail server options? Do I have to link this thing to an e-mail server?

Comment

hmm

should it just work? do I need to contact my host and make sure something is enabled on my account? e-mail wise?

Comment

This error means that the server is not configured correclty for PHP email. You'll need to contact your host about this and ask them to fix this problem.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

on the phone with them now

I am on the phone with my host Godaddy anything I need to say to them to make them understand ??? they dont seem to be understanding the php e-mail thing he is asking me questions like "Are you using frontpage" im going crazy

Comment

GoDaddy's php seems to eb crippled at best.

You might want to look at finding antoher better host.

I think I've said on another thread here, if not TAZ, you should never get your domain and hosting from the same company, period

Comment

so your saying that godaddy hosting will not support a vbulletin?

Comment

It will, but it will most likely not support all of the features such as email.

Comment

do you know for sure it will not support e-mail? what other options wont it support. they want to switch my hosting account from an asp base to a cgi is that a good ro bad idea will it fix anything?

how hard is it going to be to switch my host? backing up my forums im a newbie setting it up for the 1st time was a pain in the ass

Comment

No clue what it will and wont support for sure, all i know is that once in a while someone gets godaddy hosting and comes here with the same problems as you.

I would look for another hosting company all together, that is not related or affilated with godaddy.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X