Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leshik
    • Jan 2004

Two quick questions

Hello, I have two quick questions regarding vBulletin. Obviously, I find myself learning more and more about it as I continue to use it, but some things I just need to ask.
    • First off, I seem to have run into a problem regarding file size limitations. I want to allow zip files in excess of 10 MB to be uploaded to my forum as attachments, and I've clearly upped the limit in vBulletin's settings. But when someone tries to upload a file bigger than 2 MB, they get the following message:

"File Too Large. Exceeds PHP's limit of 2.00 MB."

How would I go about altering whatever setting needs to be changed? The server this is on is mine, as in I have root access, so I should definitely be able to change it. Would it be something in phpmyadmin?
    • I would like to change the message shown to people who try to log in who are banned. Right now people in that boat are shown the standard "You don't have permission to do what you just did" phrase, which is kinda vague. I want a different page to be shown, one that outright says "You are banned!". How would I go about doing this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

1. In addition to the vB settings, the allowed size of the attachments depends on the PHP and MySQL co
    nfiguration. You may need to check and change the upload size for both PHP and for MySQL. Note, you'll need to have root access to the server to do this (or have your host do it.) Make these changes to php.ini:

upload_max_filesize = xM

..and my.cnf

set-variable=max_allowed_packet=xM

Change it to the size ('x') you want in Megabytes. Restart the webserver and MySQL after making these changes.

Also you might want to take a look at this for other settings that affect file uploads:

I think that if you run a search on this board about 'memory_limit' and 'max_execution_time', one of my threads will show up :) Here are my settings before I continue: Server Type WINNT / PHP v4.2.2 File Uploads = On MySQL v3.23.54-nt PHP Maximum Upload Size 80M PHP Max Post Size 80M PHP Memory Limit N/A (even

I have gone through this entire forum to see if someone else has reported this, but couldn't find anything so here goes. The problem I have sounds similar to other forum owners problem but produces the message This error occurs when I try to upload a file of ANY type that is greater than 992 Kb. As per the various other

2. All language is in Phrases. Do a 'Search in Phrases' for the specific language you are looking for, then edit the appropriate Phrase.

Admin CP -> Languages & Phrases -> Search in Phrases

Note: To edit a phrase, place the new phrase in the available language text boxes.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Leshik
      • Jan 2004

OK, thanks for the help. I'm taking steps to address the first question I asked, which is involving my ISP.

But I still do not know how to make the change that I want that I mentioned in question two. Right now, if someone's banned, they're moved to a custom usergroup that is appropriately titled "Banned Users". It automatically changes their avatar to a "Banned!" image, but all it does as far as what they can see when they log in is the phrase $vbphrase[not_logged_no_permission], which I know how to change. But because people will see this if they, say, try and edit someone else's post, I don't want it explicitly saying "You were banned, stupid!". How would I go about making $vbphrase[banned] and have it show that to people who are in the Banned Users group? That is what I want to do.

Thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎