Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Database suddenly doubled... what did I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database suddenly doubled... what did I do?

Posted this in the How Do I forum but thought it would be more appropriate here:

Well, I am thoroughly confused. I recently imported from phpBB. There were about 28k PMs that imported. About 8k of those were spread among two users. So, I deleted the PMs for those two users.

Before the PM delete the database backup was approx 50mb.

After the PM delete the database backup is approx 96Mb.

What happened? I did the repair and that made virtually no change at all!
    -------------------------
    This is getting worse and I am getting very nervous! We have yet to go live with the new board but I let another user in and asked him to get rid of all his PMs. Afterwards, did a backup... The database backup has now jumped to 136Mb!!! This is just insane! I was planning to go live tonight but am now very afraid of what might happen! I have run the optimize and reset the counters several times, but that seems to have no effect at all!

In the Admin panel I see:
    MySQL Packet Size:128.00 MB
    Data Usage:59.57 MB
    Index Usage:25.02 MB

According to mySQL the database is taking up 85Mb.

Can anyone help me or tell me what is going on? Is there any chance that when I deleted these PMs that the software somehow moved them somewhere or copied them somewhere else in the db, thus increasing the size?

I am very nervous about letting my members in and what will happen to the db if they begin deleting things. Don't deletes ususally make things SMALLER??

No according to that you are using 59MB.

Data Usage is the TOTAL SIZE OF THE DATABASE

Comment

OK. That makes me feel better.

Two questions:

-Why when I do a backup is the backup over 130Mb? I don't even have any attachements uploaded at this point.

-Why is there a differece (of about 40Mb) between what mySQL reports as the db size and what vb reports?

BTW, thanks for your qucik answer.

Comment

Whens the last time you ran a repair and optmize ?

There is no reason for them to be off like that

Comment

Yes, delete can cause overhead. Overhead can cause corruption.
          Run optimize and repair and your size could decrease as it will take care of any corruption and overhead.

Comment

Just ran it this morning.

I have attached screen caps from my vb admin panel and from the mysql panel at my webhost.

Just did a backup of the db.... 135Mb

Took a look at the mySQL database directly and it seems like the largest tables are:
            postindex - 39.6Mb
            post - 18.9Mb
            pmtext - 12.9Mb
            word - 4.2Mb
            pm - 2.7Mb
            user - 1.7Mb
            template - 1.6Mb

Don't know if that helps any, but there it is.
            Attached Files

Comment

How are you doing a backup?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                No according to that you are using 59MB.

Data Usage is the TOTAL SIZE OF THE DATABASE

Now that I look at it again, are you sure that Data Usage PLUS Index Usage isn't the total size of the DB? Because it seems like it you add those two together from what I posted above, you get the total db size mySQL is reporting. Still doesn't answer why the backup is almost twice that size, but at least it is a start.

Comment

Again the post above, also MySQL 4.0.21 is a very bugy copy, request that your host downgrade to 20 or upgrade to 22/23

Comment

How are you doing a backup?

Admin Control Panel - Import & Maintenance - Database Backup

In database backup I choose ALL YES then click GO and choose to save the file down to my local hard drive.

Comment

Again the post above, also MySQL 4.0.21 is a very bugy copy, request that your host downgrade to 20 or upgrade to 22/23
                      Ah! I did not know that! I will do that right away!

Comment

That is just a stright dump, do you have access to the shell to do a backup from ssh?

Comment

I am the board owner and also the owner of my webshosting site so I assume so although I am not familiar with what you are referring to.

Comment

SSH is a secure way to access the server directly by command line,

If you have root access to the server you should be able to access ssh by all means as long as it is up and running on the box.

Once you are logged in you can use mysqldump to get a 100% complete and full optmized backup. There is info in the docs on how to do a database backup via ssh

Comment

Just talked to a support tech at my hosting site (**************.com) and he said "This is the most stable and compatible one with our system."

I pressed on asking if there was ANY plans for upgrading. Response?

"No, because we have all bugfixes installed for this version, and there's no need to upgrade it."

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X