Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Upgrade Problems: Please help

OK,

So I am upgrading 2.3.0 to 3.0.5. First I was using firefox and got hung with a mysql error on step 6 page 2. Found on here that firefox doesn't do so hot with this.

So I restored the database from my backup version, restored my vb2 files on my server, deleted the correct crap again, uploaded 3.0.5 again, and started from scratch in IE. For some reason at this point the upgrade still wants to start from step 6 but since it is working on a restored version of the database steps 1-5 haven't been accomplished.

Please help me start from scratch.

Thanks

what exactly was the error?
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Don't know now, didn't write it down. I am now just trying to start from scratch, but for some reason it wants to start from where it crashed, but on the restored database...

Comment

Did you empty the odl database and then restore? vBulletin adds tables to track where the upgrade was.

Comment

Negative, just did the " mysql < backup.sql" thing... Walk me thru this please, because I am at my end... No database class on my degree plan... oh well.

Thanks

Comment

Create a New database, import your backup into it, and then edit the config and run from there

Comment

Create new database, I assume I have to delete the old one first? My total database knowledge consists of the last 3 frustrating hours, and I don't have a book onhand for reference.

Comment

No you dont, you should be able to add a new database without deleting the old one granted your host allows you to have more than one

Comment

I can't have more than one database, nor do i have permission to create a new one.

Is there anyway I can work with what I have, or do I need my host to restore my server to a backup then upload my database backup and restore my database to my backup version and start fresh. Can I just empty the database of the new tables, or just empty the info out of these, then restore my backup and start fresh?

My database backup is 1.5 gigs.

Thanks

Comment

Oh scary :/ I should be homoe in 30-40 and I will be of more assassinstance then

Comment

Try restarting from Step 6 and see what the error is. Without more information on the error, it's relatively tricky to figure out what went wrong during the upgrade process
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Ok I think we have moved on. I was able to setup a new database and restore my backup to that, change my config and move on. Upgrade is going fine.

My only guess is that Firefox was the culpret for the original error. IE was not able to move thru the error once I got it.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X