Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SFishy
    replied
    Thanks again Mark. I'm on my own server and my host is excellent, plus I can monitor the load easily myself too. I'll keep my eye on it.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    This is it...it won't damage anything. Switch it on, and if suddenly your board feels like treacle, turn it back off.

If you have a good host, they will tell you if things are starting to look hairy even if it all SEEMS ok. Mine do, if anything starts to get out of hand they drop me a mail and I can pinpoint what it is. The arcade stats hack that originally added 800 queries was a case in point.....

Leave a comment:

• SFishy
    replied
    Thanks Mark... I guess I'll give it a try and if I take a big performance hit I can turn it back off

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by SFishy
    VBulletin Option -> User Listing & Profile Viewing

There's an option: "Show Last Post on Profile Page"

On my old 2.3.0 version, I believe I had a hack installed that did this. I miss the information in user profiles. I'd like to turn it on.

But I'm wondering about the performance hit? The warning says:
    Showing the last post on a member profile can cause large table scans which leads to table locking. This may increase load time on your forums as well as the load of your server. This option should only be enabled for smaller forums.

I'm not sure what constitute "smaller" -- the hack I had installed seemed to work good, without problems -- my community is 27,000+ members, over 750,000 posts. Average day sees about 800 people log in, and anywhere from 500-1000 new posts.

What would you recommend? NOT even to try turning this feature on, or should it be okay to try?
    With things like this, I always say 'suck it and see'.

It's switched on in most of the forums, some of which are similar in size to yours, and doesn't seem to cause any problems but I guess it depends on the server you are running on.

My community is way smaller than yours so my own experience is probably irrelevant but it's never caused me any issues.

Leave a comment:

• SFishy
    started a topic "Show Last Post" Feature

"Show Last Post" Feature

VBulletin Option -> User Listing & Profile Viewing

There's an option: "Show Last Post on Profile Page"

On my old 2.3.0 version, I believe I had a hack installed that did this. I miss the information in user profiles. I'd like to turn it on.

But I'm wondering about the performance hit? The warning says:
    Showing the last post on a member profile can cause large table scans which leads to table locking. This may increase load time on your forums as well as the load of your server. This option should only be enabled for smaller forums.

I'm not sure what constitute "smaller" -- the hack I had installed seemed to work good, without problems -- my community is 27,000+ members, over 750,000 posts. Average day sees about 800 people log in, and anywhere from 500-1000 new posts.

What would you recommend? NOT even to try turning this feature on, or should it be okay to try?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X