Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 mornings in a row, VB unresponsive (reboot)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any other suggestions besides turning off search while I sleep? I am about to go into the time here where it could go down while I sleep and I am fearing I may start losing clients (I charge for forums on my site). Any help appreciated. (Is that query issue a known hack/bug?)
    Deron
    www.creationnation.com
    www.ultimatemetal.com

Comment

4 mornings in a row now grrrr. One time it did eventually come up but took like 10 minutes. Another time 10 minute it wasn't working. In WHM the MySQL processes for the site just kept building. I turned search off for the site so noone could have run that could they, some sneaky way or something?
      Deron
      www.creationnation.com
      www.ultimatemetal.com

Comment

Well I'm at five mornings in a row now. I had turned off cpanel backup thinking maybe that was causing the site to stall but to no avail. I actually got up at 5am to make sure the site was online or not and it was. Seems around 5:38ish it stalled out again though. This is weird...I can pinpoint the time within like 15-20 minute range but the error logs don't really reveal anything to me, access_log either. I can't for the life of me figure out what may be causing this.
        Deron
        www.creationnation.com
        www.ultimatemetal.com

Comment

This is a server issue. For help with optimizing your server, please see this thread:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=70117

Then post the requested info in a new thread in that forum.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Are you sure (serious response). I would tend to agree with you if ALL my sites were down and not just this one.
            Deron
            www.creationnation.com
            www.ultimatemetal.com

Comment

Its possible some sort of backup script is locking the MySQL tables and that makes it seem like the site is down?
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Ok...so the sixth (seventh, I lost count!) morning in a row now the site has stalled out. I just stayed up watching some God awfully boring TOP commands to see what exactly is happening around the time the site goes down. It appears that what started up around the same time the site stalled out is the "updatedb" command. I am on cpanel/WHM. I've never had this issue before 6-7 days ago and I have been running this forum on my server since around March of 2004. Is anyone else out there experiencing issues with this or know why this may cause my one VB forum to go down but not others? Other commands that were running were gzip/tar as part of some backups that were running. I turned off backups on this particular account though so I could try and rule that out. When this happened I stopped/killed all httpd/mysql instances. Then I restarted, and that still didn't work. Still requires a complete server reboot to snap the forum out of it stalled state. Then it is perfectly fine all day until this time in the morning again. Am I going crazy here? Must get some sleep now...
                Deron
                www.creationnation.com
                www.ultimatemetal.com

Comment

Tonight I am going to try and turn off all daily cron jobs as well as all backups on the server in case something there is causing this. Is there any kind of individual log that VB can create that is up to the minute on what's going on or what may cause it to goof at any given time? (besides the standard access_log/error_log/messages in Apache)
                  Deron
                  www.creationnation.com
                  www.ultimatemetal.com

Comment

It would appear that this is your cause:

It appears that what started up around the same time the site stalled out is the "updatedb" command.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The only thing that baffles me about it is I don't recall anything changing with that 6-7 days ago. It's always run on a daily cron since I've had the server so the weird part is why is it only now causing issues (if it is indeed the cause which we'll find out about 4 hours from now bleh!).

I have it disabled for tonight so we shall see...<crosses fingers>
                      Deron
                      www.creationnation.com
                      www.ultimatemetal.com

Comment

Well...the update is...I turned off the backups and all daily cron jobs last night (besides logrotate. The site didn't go down thank God! Now I just have to add backups back tonight, see what it does. Then add the cron jobs back (excluding the updatedb to start just in case). Does anyone know why all of a sudden, if it is updatedb, that it would start affecting my forum like it has when it hasn't before?
                        Deron
                        www.creationnation.com
                        www.ultimatemetal.com

Comment

After enablling all cron jobs except "updatedb" the site still went down. I may try to force the crons tonight one by one to see what is causing this. The ones I have running are:

00-logwatch
                          chkrootkit
                          freshclam
                          logrotate
                          prelink
                          squirrelmail.cron
                          tmpwatch
                          certwatch
                          clean.quarantine
                          fw
                          makewhatis.cron
                          rpm
                          tetex.cron
                          tripwire-check

Is anyone else experiencing any issues and running close to this same cron daily setup?
                          Deron
                          www.creationnation.com
                          www.ultimatemetal.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X