Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nothing in the install about email send config...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing in the install about email send config...

Just tested having an email sent for forgotten password... never got it... made me realize when I installed my vBulletin there was nothing in there about how to enable it to send emails from my host... so, what chapter is that?

vBulletin uses PHP's mail() function to send emails. So PHP needs to be correctly configured to send emails. This is usually something your host needs to do.

Try sending yourself a test email in your:

Admin CP -> Import & Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Email

Comment

Aha! Ran the diagnostic and got an error message... am checking mail server setup now... thanks for the quick help!

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      vBulletin uses PHP's mail() function to send emails. So PHP needs to be correctly configured to send emails. This is usually something your host needs to do.

Try sending yourself a test email in your:

Admin CP -> Import & Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Email

Comment

My host told me to add two "ini_set" lines to my "send mail PHP file."

Is this the includes/mail.php in my vBulletin install files?

Or is this in my Php install files?
        -------------------------------------------------------

Please add the following two lines to your send mail PHP file.

ini_set(sendmail_from, "[email protected]");
        Where "[email protected]" is the actual e-mail address you want mail to be sent FROM. Example: [email protected]

ini_set(SMTP, "mail.yourdomain.com");

Change the mail.yourdomain.com to your SMTP server address. Example: mail.tape.org
        -------------------------------------------------------

Comment

If mail.php is the file where the mails are actually being sent from, then yes, you would have to put those lines there.

Comment

Well, it's making me nervous guessing where to make the update... the install documentation was excellent about where to put in sql config but blank about email config.

Originally posted by Icheb
            If mail.php is the file where the mails are actually being sent from, then yes, you would have to put those lines there.
            Last edited by sitearm9; Thu 30 Dec '04, 10:53am.

Comment

You should remove all source code you just posted . And just put the lines at the top of the file.

Comment

You can also try putting those lines in config.php instead.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

You can also change those directives in the php.ini file in your server. Then you won't have to edit any vBulletin files. But that requires root access to your server, and is something your host usually does for you.

Comment

Steve: Many thanks to all and I'll try this idea first... since I KNOW I made the other (sql config) changes to config.php, and keep track of them, if the email config changes made here work I'll have it all in one place.

┬╗But for why is this subject not in the install documentation?!
                    Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    You can also try putting those lines in config.php instead.

Comment

Originally posted by sitearm9
                      But for why is this subject not in the install documentation?!
                      Because it's more of a PHP configuration subject than a vBulletin one.

Comment

hmm... I'll keep pursuing with host of course... but as a newbie, the perception that the mySQL config is treated so exactly in the vBulletin install manual, while the PHP config is treated not at all, for something so essential as emailing of forgotten passwords etc. strikes me as... inconsistent... after all, BOTH rely on host setting parameters beyond vBulletins's control... the documentation made this clear for mySQL and I successfully followed it's instructions up front... so why not at least add a cautionary paragraph about the email too? BUT I repeat myself ... back to the host!

Because it's more of a PHP configuration subject than a vBulletin one.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X