Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allowing users to apply to secondary usergroups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deyth
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris
    You can close your forum, setup your usergroups and their permissions, your forums and their permissions. Test it all and then open your forum. After which your members can register, join public usergroups and request access to private usergroups, etc.
    What you're saying is not close forum but close the entire board, yes? Of course we could do that but that's a really bad way to go about it for an active ongoing board, wouldn't you agree? That's akin to recommending someone shut down an entire web site while updating a page. This sounds like a design flaw you guys might want to fix.

I just tested the usergroup leader feature and it's what I needed, thanks. I did notice two minor features missing that I would've expected; there is no notification to usergroup leaders of new join requests (via either pm or email) and there is no similar notification to the requester of approval or denial. In fact, if someone is denied they just have to assume it because it gets reset and allows them to apply again.
    Last edited by Deyth; Tue 28 Dec '04, 3:37pm.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    You can close your forum, setup your usergroups and their permissions, your forums and their permissions. Test it all and then open your forum. After which your members can register, join public usergroups and request access to private usergroups, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Deyth
    replied
    This is a tricky one yes.

Once you made a public joinable usergroup you can go to the usergroup manager.
    Then from the group of public joinable usergroups, click on the drop down behind it and select 'add usergroup leader'.
    So technically there's a period, no matter how brief, where someone might join a usergroup I haven't yet added a leader to? That sounds like a security flaw to me.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    This is a tricky one yes.

Once you made a public joinable usergroup you can go to the usergroup manager.
    Then from the group of public joinable usergroups, click on the drop down behind it and select 'add usergroup leader'.

Leave a comment:

• Deyth
    replied
    You can use promotions for users to automaticly upgrade to higher usergroups.
    You can use private joinable usergroups by adding a team leader to a usergroup who has to decline or accept join requests.
    You can set a usergroup as public joinable usergroup.

These are options that show when you modify a usergroup through the usergroup manager.
    Where is that team leader option? I found the rest.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by Deyth
    I'm seeing a possible need for secondary usergroups (up until now I didn't need them) and as I recall users were supposed to be able to apply for membership in a usergroup (I think I saw that in the beta) but I don't see it now. Has the feature been removed or did it never even exist?
    You can use promotions for users to automaticly upgrade to higher usergroups.
    You can use private joinable usergroups by adding a team leader to a usergroup who has to decline or accept join requests.
    You can set a usergroup as public joinable usergroup.

These are options that show when you modify a usergroup through the usergroup manager.

Leave a comment:

• Deyth
    replied
    On a related topic, can a secondary usergroup "belong" to a particular user? Let's say someone paid for a subscription in order to establish a private forum on my board for his use to which he needs to be able to manage access. Ideally I would like people to apply to the secondary usergroup I've set up for that person and then let him grant or deny access as he sees fit.

Leave a comment:

• Deyth
    started a topic Allowing users to apply to secondary usergroups?

Allowing users to apply to secondary usergroups?

I'm seeing a possible need for secondary usergroups (up until now I didn't need them) and as I recall users were supposed to be able to apply for membership in a usergroup (I think I saw that in the beta) but I don't see it now. Has the feature been removed or did it never even exist?
Working...
X