Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to tell if a user is online? Good question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Machol
    replied
    If you revert your navbar template the link should be there.

The memory error is due to your PHP settings. You or your host will need to increase the memory_limit setting in php.ini. I recommend 16M.

Leave a comment:

• John Campbell
    replied
    Originally posted by conqsoft
    Umm. It's right up at the top there, on the menu bar. Says "Quick Links".
    You know I am talking for my vb site right?
    And I do not use this templte so I do not have a quick links.

=======================
    edit:
    Well at least firefox has something good about it.
    the url I was looking for is misc.php?do=buddylist&focus=1
    That is what I was looking for.

Leave a comment:

• John Campbell
    replied
    Originally posted by conqsoft
    Or set your staff usergroup to show up on the Forum Leaders page, then users will be able to easily see...

Like: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showgroups.php
    Hey when I do that on my site.... I get this
    Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 55 bytes) in /nfs/cust/3/18/41/customer101/web/forums/showgroups.php on line 132
    Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 0 bytes)
    I know its my problem but any idea why that just happned?

Leave a comment:

• conqsoft
    replied
    Originally posted by John Campbell
    no offense can you give me a URL link or tell me where is "quick links"? If this is template driven I may not have it.
    Umm. It's right up at the top there, on the menu bar. Says "Quick Links".

Leave a comment:

• John Campbell
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris
    Quick Links > Open Buddy List ..
    no offense can you give me a URL link or tell me where is "quick links"? If this is template driven I may not have it.

Leave a comment:

• conqsoft
    replied
    Or set your staff usergroup to show up on the Forum Leaders page, then users will be able to easily see...

Like: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showgroups.php

Leave a comment:

• Dennis Olson
    replied
    Well, if you have your who's on-line list turned on, you can see everyone who's on at any given moment, either in the Forumhome page or the Index page. You can specify a font change for staff (hilighted, red, etc), so that the staff members will stand out in the list. That's already available in the standard code.

Leave a comment:

• John Campbell
    replied
    Hello again Floris...

Kinda... but not really.
    Its like a list of people lets say staff of the site.
    and you can see right away if they are online or not.

really helpfull for guests who need to ask a quick question. so buddies wouldnt work in that sense.

see what I mean?

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Im going to go test but I belive for this case what I am looking for to see if a user is online is <if condition="$userinfo['action']"> Now here is the trick. lol. how can I check for multiple users? pretend I have a template...
    user 1 thru 10
    when this comes on it will show a little light if one of us is on.
    I am not sure how to design the if statement. if $userinfo[number I pick]=$userinfo['action'] show this guys online icon.

lol does that make the slightest bit of sense?
    It sounds like you want to duplicate the buddy list.

Leave a comment:

• John Campbell
    replied
    Im going to go test but I belive for this case what I am looking for to see if a user is online is <if condition="$userinfo['action']"> Now here is the trick. lol. how can I check for multiple users? pretend I have a template...
    user 1 thru 10
    when the user loads this page it will show a little light if one of us is on.
    I am not sure how to design the if statement. if $userinfo[number I pick]=$userinfo['action'] show this guys online icon.

lol does that make the slightest bit of sense?

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Ahh I found out. but this wont work. What your talking about is $post[onlinestatus]. But this will only work for the person who posted something.

I wanted it for lets say a buddies page or something to that effect where you can see if the user is actually online. Maybe in the memberinfo template.
    Quick Links > Open Buddy List ..

Leave a comment:

• John Campbell
    replied
    Ahh I found out. but this wont work. What your talking about is $post[onlinestatus]. But this will only work for the person who posted something.

I wanted it for lets say a buddies page or something to that effect where you can see if the user is actually online. Maybe in the memberinfo template.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    oh nice didnt know about that. since your here let me ask you this. do you know of a variable that would store field information? you know in the user registration? how does vb know if a field if filled or not?
    Perhaps this will help explain some of this:

How To Add A Profile Field To The Postbit

second question... ever wondered how can a user do a search for a member that has a profile picture?
    I do believe we've answered this before. This is not a feature in vB. This requires modifying the code. You can try asking for help with this over at vbulletin.org.

Leave a comment:

• John Campbell
    replied
    Originally posted by Dennis Olson
    Right next to each member's name is a little dot (in every post). The dot is GREEN if they're currently online, gray if no, and red if they've selected "invisible browse mode". All you need to do is find that code in the postbit template (that decides which dot-color gif to use), and you'll have the code you need to determine if someone is online or not.
    good point I dont have dots on mine that is why I got lost there for a sec.

got ya thanks.

Leave a comment:

• John Campbell
    replied
    oh nice didnt know about that. since your here let me ask you this. do you know of a variable that would store field information? you know in the user registration? how does vb know if a field if filled or not?

second question... ever wondered how can a user do a search for a member that has a profile picture?

Leave a comment: