Move Server + Upgrade clarifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move Server + Upgrade clarifications

I've read the all posts I could find for the last 15 pages about moving servers.

I've read the move servers guide about 10 times.

Background info: vBulletin 2.30 with vbPortal & Photopost integration. We do have some hacks applied (quick reply, arrow ads, and maybe one or two others that I can't think of right now). We also have a custom skin (wouldn't mind losing this though).

I know I need to run the database_conflicts.php which I have (No errors ).

I guess my questions are:
    1. Do I install a vanilla 2.30 vBulletin first (the guide isn't clear on this part)?
    2. Then follow the moving servers guide from that point?
    3. Then upgrade from 2.30 on the new server to 3.0.3?
    What about the skins? Do need to roll them back (or whatever it would be to get them back to defaults) before I upgrade?

Anyway, I guess I'm hoping someone can tell me what will happen based on my scenario. What I might lose and what I might need to delete or whatever before starting.

Also, I no longer have the 2.3 install files, can someone tell me where I can get them? Or can I just go with 2.3.5 instead since I can still download it in the members area, and would the move from one server to new server still be the same with 2.3.5?

Hope I've been clear, and thanks in advance for the help.
    Just another squirrel trying to get a nut

allthingsmoto.com, bodynspirit.net, & payinitoff.com

I suggest to make a backup first of your web server files and a back dump of your database.

Then upgrade the 2.x to 3.0.3 before you move. If the upgrade is 100% completed, make another backup (seperate) of the files & database.

Then move to the new account.

Upgrade & Move server instructions can be found on the online manual here: http://www.vBulletin.com/docs/html

Yes, you will loose the hacks, integration and styles.
    You have to re-apply them, and make sure they work with version 3.0.3 of vBulletin.

Comment

Ok, so why would you upgrade the current server and not the new one first. The reason I ask is that I want the least amount of down time, and hoped it would only be for as long as DNS takes to propogate (24-72). So I can install, upgrade, make sure everything works, then import the DB... If it doesn't, I just don't change the DNS until I can get it working. My users are happily posting away none the wiser.

Can you give me a good reason why not to do it this way or why to do it the way you posted? I'm just trying to make this as easy on my users as possible, while still having a backup plan if it doesn't go as planned or it ends up taking a long time because of complications.

See this thread for where I got the idea --> moving/upgrading

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Comment

Actually, I'd have to turn off my board so the data doesn't change, but none the less it seems like it would be easier to install 2.3 on the new server, import the data, then upgrade.

Oh, and can I just use 2.3.5 or whatever the latest version is?

Comment

Installing vB 2.3.x on the new server just makes a new fresh database, importing the data (not sure how byour going to do this as there is no vB2 > vB2 importeR) is useless.
          if you restore your old database over this new install, it becomes your old install, not the newest version with your old data.

Comment

I'm sorry, I must not be explaining myself very well.

Here was my plan.
            1. Turn off current board
            2. Export DB on old server and ftp to new server.
            3. Install vBulletin 2.3 (or 2.3.5 if that's all I can get) on the new server.
            4. Restore old DB to new 2.3.x install
            5. Then run the 3.0.3 upgrade on the new server.
            6. Once it's up and running as it should be change DNS to point to new server.
            Reason for wanting to do it this way:
            If for some reason it doesn't go as planned I can always turn the old server vBulletin back on while trying to figure out what went wrong etc. Then start over.

Would that not work?

Or would it still be better to upgrade the old server first, export the DB, install 3.0.3 on the new server and restore the DB and go from there?

Sorry if I'm not being clear. Like I said, I'm just wanting this to go as smoothly as possible with the least amount of down time and a good contingency plan if something goes wrong (which invariably it does).

Please advise, and thanks for your patience.

Comment

1. good
              2. good
              3. bad, do not bother installing vBulletin, just move the files from the old server to the new server with the database and restore it. there is no need to install vB again. as I have stated restoring the database just nulls the install anyway.
              4. you should have done that in step 3 like i said again
              5. yeap
              6. sure

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm getting it.. slowly

Ok, forgive me if I'm a little slow here. Just wanting to make sure I understand.

On step 3, just ftp the contents of my forums directory to the new server. Restore the DB. Then what? Follow the upgrade to 3.0.3 ustructions?

The reason I ask is that I backed up my entire site and restored it on the new server, but got a lot of errors when trying to run vBulletin. I think I'll just try what you suggest and see what happens. If it fails, I'm out nothing. I can just come back and ask more question.

Comment

I've recently done quite some upgrades, and each time the domain isn't pointing to the IP it gives issues. So I am afraid I will suggest to point the domain first and then upgrade.

Comment

If it doesn't work with my testing, I'll point a host file at it, if that doesn't work, I'll ... I'll figure something out

Comment

That is fine, as it really doesn't matter if you upgrade before or after the server move.
                      You just have to think about what is quicker and works without a hassle for you.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X