Search Engines & bbuserinfo['userid']

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search Engines & bbuserinfo['userid']

I have been using if condition="$bbuserinfo['userid']" to limit certain things to registered members. For example, in the SHOWTHREAD template:

Code:
    <if condition="$bbuserinfo['userid']">
           <td class="vbmenu_control" id="threadtools">
     	 <a href="#goto_threadtools"<if condition="is_browser('ie')"> accesskey="3"</if>>$vbphrase[thread_tools]</a>
     	 <if condition="$show['popups']"><script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("threadtools"); </script></if>
           </td>
        </if>
    It all works fine and when I examine the HTML from a page viewed as an unregistered user it's all how I want it to be.

I had assumed that search engines would also be treated like unregistered users and not see the hidden stuff. This would have been perfect. However it seems that search engines are still following the hidden links as if they were logged in.

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong? I really want to keep search engines out of all the irrelevant pages.

Edit: URL is www.mediacollege.com/forum
    dave.co.nz

You should match against usergroupid, as both guests & bots are both the same usergroupid.

<if condition="$bbuserinfo['usergroupid'] == '1'">unregistered</if>

Comment

Bingo - thank you so much
      dave.co.nz

Comment

Originally posted by daveconz
        Bingo - thank you so much
        You're welcome.

By the way, what are you trying to do?
        Because vBulletin 3 has a default usergroup permission so you can set for example the unregistered usergroup permission "can search forum" to no, but set it to yes for registered usergroup.

Comment

Basically I want to limit the options for unregistered users and make the interface they see much more simple. It's a long story and I won't bore you with the details but I'll be removing all sorts of non-critical links from the unregistered interface.

Also, I like the idea of limiting the links shown to search engines. When I first converted to vB I noticed that it took the Googlebot quite a few visits before it really started indexing the messages - it spent the first few visits looking at irrelevant "permission denied" messages. The MSNbot seemed to have a fascination with the printable version of messages, and is still spending more time reading error messages than thread messages.

Anyway, I figured I could kill two birds with one stone by simplifying the interface for both unregistered guests and search bots.

It will be after Christmas before I complete this job but I've done a few tests and it seems to be working fine. I wish I had more time to be working on this - I'm really enjoying my new vB
          dave.co.nz

Comment

Actually it turns out that this hasn't worked. Search engines are still reading pages as if they were logged in. I don't know how they are finding these pages but they are.

I don't have time to sort it out now but this is an issue which is well worth addressing I think. When I watch SE spider activity I see that 90% of their crawling is wasted on reading profiles, search pages, error messages, etc. For bots that only index a few dozen pages per visit this is bad news. It really would be good to have some system of only showing them relevant pages.
            dave.co.nz

Comment

Working...
            X