Archive - Dispelling the Jargon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archive - Dispelling the Jargon

I would like my site's Archive to work and I have browsed the forum and found this thread which lists all sort of stuff such as PHP as CGI, .htaccess files, a German translation session, and other assorted jargonese.

I know nothing about what those people were talking about.

All I know is that my forum is v3.0.3 and the only "hacks" are to put a couple of profile fields next to someone's name although I doubt this is going to affect my archive.

My host is running PHP version 4.3.10 and the server, on my admin panel, is listed as 1.3.33 (Unix). The mySQL version is 4.0.22-standard.

Can someone please explain in layman's terms what all this means CGI as PHP, .htaccess files, and whatever else, and then list step by step how to remedy this?

Thankyou
    World Literature Forum

The Archive is for web-bots and crawlers to use, in order to reference your threads. (Think Google or Yahoo searches - those are possible because automated tools have "scanned" the 'Net for "stuff". There is no "archive" per se in vB. You can create one, but you'd have to populate it manually.

CGI and PHP are languages used to make web-pages on-the-fly, as folks click the links. (Everything in vB lives in a database. When you click a link, that page is "built" for you via database reads.)

.htaccess is a method of securing various directories (like your admincp directory) from unauthorized entry. The htaccess file can also be used to DENY access to your website from IP addresses of your choice.

That help?

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Olson
      That help?
      Not particularly as I know what the archive is for and I know what PHP and CGI are but I want to know, based on the info given, what to do to enable my archive.
      World Literature Forum

Comment

In the Admin CP, vBulletion Options section (near the bottom):

Search Engine Friendly Archive

Forum Archive Enabled
        The Search-Friendly Archive works only under the Apache web server with PHP compiled as a module.

It provides a basic structure that search engines can spider to grab all the content on your site.

Yes No

Forum Archive Threads Per Page
        The number of threads to display per page in the threads listing.
        This is done on a per-forum basis.

Forum Archive Posts Per Page
        The number of posts to display per page in the thread listing.

Comment

And? I have this enabled already.

I gave a link to my forum where you can see that clicking on the Archive link just redirects to the forum's index.php file. The other link I gave, if you clicked on it, shows a problem with people on vb3.0.3 who can't get their archive to show what it should - hence my server info. This is my problem.
          World Literature Forum

Comment

Can you enable public phpinfo in the admincp?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
              Can you enable public phpinfo in the admincp?
              I have just done this now but the Archive link still redirects to the main form page.
              World Literature Forum

Comment

Server API CGI
                That says it all, the archive will not run under CGI mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                  Server API CGI
                  That says it all, the archive will not run under CGI mode.
                  What says it all? You've quoted something but it is not from this thread? Where's the evidence?
                  World Literature Forum

Comment

In your public phpinfo, it allows me to look at the servers configuration, it states that php is running as cgi instead of an apache module (the only one the archive actually works with).

Comment

Okay, say based on what that thread I originally linked to said, about a fix for running CGI as PHP regarding some changes to a file called .htaccess, is it possible at all to change my .htaccess file and finally get the archive working?
                      World Literature Forum

Comment

the htaccess file is not going to help, the "fixes" for making the archive run in cgi mode arnt really fixes as they defaeat the whole idea of the archive. the only fix to to ask your host to move to the apache module instead of cgi

Comment

The problem is a choice between compiling Php to run with phpsuexec or not.

When compiled with phpsuexec, vBulletin runs under the user's name on the server rather than the common name "nobody". The benefit to this is that other ISPs aren't so quick to relegate vBulletin outgoing email to the junk mail folder. Nobody has long been misused by spammers.

The other benefit is server security. Since all scripts and data files are "owned" and written under the user's name, there is no need to do insecure things like setting files or directories to chmod 777. Directores can be chmod 755 and scripts and data can be chmod 644.

So, trade-off time! Lost email and an insecure server vs. running an archive. A hard call. Is there any other way to get the archive to run and work under cgi? I am having this same struggle with getting attachments to run from the file directory.

Last edited by oldengine; Thu 30 Dec '04, 6:18am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X