2 questions - viewing members list & error message text

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 questions - viewing members list & error message text

Question 1 - unregistered users are able to view the members list. Can this be blocked so that only registered users are able to view member info?

Question 2 - Where can I change the text in the error message that appears when unregistered users try to post a new thread or reply? It's titled vBulletin Message and starts like this:
    You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:...
    Thanks!

Answer 1: Yes, you can block usergroups from viewing the memberlist using conditionals in the templates. But no, this is not a usergroup option to turn on or off. (I wish it was)

Answer 2: You can modify every phrase you find on the forums in the phrase manager through the admin control panel. acp > languages & phrases > search in phrases > search for the text and modify it there.

Comment

how and where

Originally posted by Floris
      Answer 1: Yes, you can block usergroups from viewing the memberlist using conditionals in the templates. But no, this is not a usergroup option to turn on or off. (I wish it was)
      Aha! There's a suggestion for the next upgrade. But in the meantime, how (what's the code) and where (which template) would I block non-members from viewing the members list?
      Originally posted by Floris
      Answer 2: You can modify every phrase you find on the forums in the phrase manager through the admin control panel. acp > languages & phrases > search in phrases > search for the text and modify it there.
      I've been searching the phrases and it seems the error message is made up of a couple of different phrases. I'll keep looking around until I can put it together.

Comment

Now that I think of it, I am pretty sure you CAN block memberlist from guests by default. Sorry if I am wrong. I

I checked the source code and it is a bitfield linked to 'canviewmembers' which is a usergroup option for 'can view user profile' yes/no as general permission for any usergroup. And despite the admin help saying it is for viewing user's profile on the forum, it apparently is also used to give permission to memberlist yes/no.

Try this:

Admin Control Panel > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > Modify the usergroup 'unregistered' and set the general permission 'Can View Member Info' to 'No'.

And save to apply changes.

Guests shouldn't be able to visit memberlist.php now.
        Last edited by Floris; Sun 19 Dec '04, 8:00am.

Comment

by golly!

that works.

thanks

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X