No announcement yet.

Passwords not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a folow-up. We backed up the oringal forum , did a fresh install and moved over some of the tables from the backup. This worked fine and the boards were up to the new version. However, the password issue is still there and it seems to a problem with IE browsers as it works fine with Firefox. We are at a loss as to why IE browsers wont let you login saying invalid password or username. Obviously this is amjaor issue and I thought it could be an Apache 2 issue as I read that somewhere on here. So yes we are still stuck

Comment

1. What version of MySQL is installed on the server

2. Are you using all the original vBulletin files from YOUR PACKAGE. a few very key files are encoded with a license number to make a few things, if you are not using the ones from YOUR PACKAGE then it can fail, like if you had a leased licesne and instead of upgrading got a new account and bought an owned (or bought another leased for some reason like this) the info in thoughs keys files would now be differnt.

3. You say there is database corruption what are the error's you are getting specificly?

Comment

MySQl is version 4.0.16

Yes we are using the original files from the package.

3. It's not happened for a few days or so but the forum.myi table kept corruptiung. We may have nailed that issue now though.

Comment

Try upgrading to MySQL 4.0.23 (for bug fixes ect)

What was the error specificly you should have goten an email

Comment

Did you do what I suggested in post #14 yet?
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Yes we have doubble checked the server setting and the forums seem to be running fine after a couple of further tweaks and it's stayed stable. I am not sure if something has happened to the user table or wherever its passsword checking but the only issue is with the passwords. There are no iother issues with the board, it is running OK and there are no errors.

Comment

Sorry, I don't see the link to your post in the Server Configuration forum.

If you don't think it's MySQL, then what do you think it is. I do know for a fact that MySQL 4.0.16 did have some table corruption issues. You certainly would be helping yourself a lot by upgrading to 4.0.23.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I don't think thats the problem simply becuase I have tested a fresh install and the passwords worked fine on the same server with the same version of MySQL without any problems. This is something that I think has happened during an upgrade

Comment

What do you think happened then? Have you tried upgrading to 3.0.5 yet? Have you run repair/optimize on the db?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

P.S. You are still running a buggy version of MySQL whether or not it accounts for this specific problem and you would be doing yourself a big favor by upgrading. But that's up to you of course. We can only recommend.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I will get the MySQL upgraded yep. All tables checked and optimized and version is 3.05. There's 64,000 members and I would hate to have to tell them their accounts have to be wiped

Comment

Does post #1 still describe your problem?

Originally posted by Rushster
                          We are having a terrible time with passwords, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't and it's causing all sorts of chaos.This started happening after an upgrade to Version 3.0.3. Any fixes for this?
                          If so, it's hard to see how this could be a problem from the upgrade. First this has never been a reported problem from any upgrade I've seen in almost 4 years of providing support. And second, in my experience, intermittent problems like this (sometimes they work, sometimes they don't) are generally an indication of a server or user issue.

Sorry, but other than getting help optimizing your server, I don't know what esle to suggest.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

We had a problem during one upgrade which we resolved by add ' marks around the word hash in a few of the scripts, The thread on that issue is here...

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118973

That's the only problem we had during an upgrade. I honestly dont see how optimizing the server is going to resolve this, the boards are running fine and the test board that was set up worked fine which indicates that something has gone wrong along the way.

I have also seen other threads on the board when I looked for a solution for this about password problems so it seems it may not just have been us that have experienced these problems before.

Comment

What other people have reported this same problem on an upgrade? I must have missed those reports or have honestly forgotten about them.

Also is post #1 still an acccurate description of the problem? Can it be reliably reproduce at all?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

By the way, you might want to try installing a test forum to a new database then comparing the user tables between that db and your live one to see if you find any discrepancies in the structure.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X