Database problem after restore from a backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database problem after restore from a backup

Hi, our server has been down, and the files have been restored from a fresh backup. When trying to enter the forum I get this message:

"There seems to have been a slight problem with the veganforum.com - a vegan message board database.
    Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience."

Is this expected behavior? Since I can't access neither the admin control panel or the cPanel (yet) - is this something that needs to be fixed by the company that is hosting the site (shared hosting) and performing the backups?
    The Vegan Forum

Right click, view source, page the full error message here

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
      Right click, view source, page the full error message here
      Thanks for the tip - but as a person not knowing what this means, I have two questions:

1) Is this something that can be fixed be the people who host the site & perform the backups, or should I
      2) even be more depressed now than when the site went down almost 3 days ago?
      The Vegan Forum

Comment

We won't know what the problem is or how it can be fixed until you provide the real error message. Right-click on the error page and go to View/Source. Then copy-n-paste the error message here.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          We won't know what the problem is or how it can be fixed until you provide the real error message. Right-click on the error page and go to View/Source. Then copy-n-paste the error message here.
          Here you go:

Database error in vBulletin 3.0.1:

Invalid SQL:
          SELECT
          userfield.*, usertextfield.*, user.*, UNIX_TIMESTAMP(passworddate) AS passworddate,
          IF(displaygroupid=0, user.usergroupid, displaygroupid) AS displaygroupid,
          language.phrasegroup_holiday AS phrasegroup_holiday,
          language.phrasegroup_global AS phrasegroup_global,
          language.options AS lang_options,
          language.languagecode AS lang_code,
          language.charset AS lang_charset,
          language.locale AS lang_locale,
          language.imagesoverride AS lang_imagesoverride,
          language.dateoverride AS lang_dateoverride,
          language.timeoverride AS lang_timeoverride,
          language.registereddateoverride AS lang_registereddateoverride,
          language.calformat1override AS lang_calformat1override,
          language.calformat2override AS lang_calformat2override,
          language.logdateoverride AS lang_logdateoverride,
          language.decimalsep AS lang_decimalsep,
          language.thousandsep AS lang_thousandsep
          FROM user AS user
          INNER JOIN userfield AS userfield ON (user.userid = userfield.userid)
          INNER JOIN usertextfield AS usertextfield ON (usertextfield.userid = user.userid) INNER JOIN language AS language ON (language.languageid = IF(user.languageid = 0, 1, user.languageid))
          WHERE user.userid = 2

mysql error: Table 'korn_forum.user' doesn't exist

mysql error number: 1146
          The Vegan Forum

Comment

You are missing your user table. This is very serious. Do you have a backup of the database? Assuming that backup is complete, you'll need to restore it. The only reliable method of restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. Please see the instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ce_ssh_restore

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

You are missing your user table. This is very serious. Do you have a backup of the database? Assuming that backup is complete, you'll need to restore it.
              The company that hosts the site are having both the server that went down, and a very new backup. In addition, I have a database backup that is maybe 3 weeks old. Here is what they wrote:

'We first attempted to restore from the old drive as our newest backup were 28hrs old and we wanted the newest data possible. Due to technical issue beyond our control, we were not able to get the data off in a reasonable amount of time and and with reasonable data integrity so we reverted to our backups which were held off site in a datacenter in Texas. The restore took so long because we are restoring over the internet from Texas aproximately 80+GB of data. As of now, systems that are on the remote backup cycle are being moved to our local backup solution that will allow us to restore over an internal gigabit switch. ' (In addition, I have a database backup that is maybe 3 weeks old.)

So my question is - is there any reason to fear that the database that is needed does not exist in either of the two versions they have?
              The Vegan Forum

Comment

...and: if I use the user table from a 2-3 weeks and the one day old of everything else, what kind of problems may I run into then?
                The Vegan Forum

Comment

You will have many problems mixing table backups. The only viable option is to resotre a complete backup.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

1) Since the host company both have the original hard drive AND a one or two day old backup.... even if the user table is missing from one of their drives (or hasn't been restored properly), isn't it likely that the other system contains all the needed files?

2) Re. our circa 20mb database backup which is maybe three weeks old, is there any reason to suspect that a this file does NOT contain the needed user table as of when it was created? I can't even get into the admin-panel now, so I can't give more details about how the backup was performed (and it's too late in Europe to call the extra-backup person to ask what kind of backup he has been downloading every month).
                    The Vegan Forum

Comment

1. I don't know. It's possible they have all the necessary database files but it's impossible for me to know for sure. I would have thought if they did they would have retored them though.

2. That depends on how the backup was made. The only reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because backing up with a PHP script like that in the Admin CP or phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeouts errors and an incomplete backup file.

Look at the last five lines in the backup file and post them here. That will tell us if it's complete or not.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

1. I don't know. It's possible they have all the necessary database files but it's impossible for me to know for sure. I would have thought if they did they would have retored them though.

2. That depends on how the backup was made. The only reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because backing up with a PHP script like that in the Admin CP or phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeouts errors and an incomplete backup file.

Look at the last five lines in the backup file and post them here. That will tell us if it's complete or not.
                        Thanks, I will have the backup-guy check these lines tomorrow. This whole situation makes me wonder - if the backup file would be incomplete or if there would be PFP timeout errors... wouldn't there be any warning messages?

I told the host company about the missing user table, and they asked me about the name of the database. I can't check that now, but what would the default name for a database be if the message board is called messageboard.com ?

Thanks for your time.
                        The Vegan Forum

Comment

There is no default name for a database. It depends on the server.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

They have now managed to get the main index file up & running, and the member list is up, but when trying to enter the forums, we only get error messages. So now we have access both to the original drive, a fresh back up and an old backup, but still things are a total mess. I just read somewhere else in this forum that 'Back-up Database is already there, though unreliable just like any PHP backup. With any mid-size and up forum it will most likely timeout and give you an incomplete/corrupt backup.'

Backups are used in emergency situations, and are as important as breaks on a car. Nobody would put breaks in a car that 'most likely' would not work as expected. If you have implemented a way to create a backup that most likely will give end users an incomplete/corrupt backup, that's worse than nothing. It would be much better NOT to have such a function.

We haven't tried our own backup yet, because it'd older than the other and I don't gave access to it. And I don't know if a forum with 24000 messages is considered 'midsize and up'. But the error message we now are getting when trying to enter a forum, says that the file './korn_forum/thread.MYD' not found (Errcode: 13)

mysql error number: 1105'

After three days of downtime (which the host is responsible for) and three versions of the message board, I can't believe that I'm hearing that in addition to having problems with the original hard drive both the backups might not be usable.
                            The Vegan Forum

Comment

There is no default name for a database. It depends on the server.
                              So when the people who owns the server asks *me* for the name of that file, and I don't have access to their server, what should I tell them?
                              The Vegan Forum

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X