Blocking IPs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking IPs

When a member is banned at the forums, and their IPs are blocked, all they seem to have to do is come on as a guest and they can view the forums again.
    I am wondering if there is any way for the software to detect and block banned or unregistered IPs from being able to access the forums to view - even as a guest?

Thanks

The IP block should work on Guests. Perhaps they are using a different IP.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

From what I've read on this forum, the vB IP block is fairly resource-intensive. You might be better off adding an htaccess file to the base-web directory, and adding DENY commands for each offending IP. That way, they never even get to the vB code.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Olson
        From what I've read on this forum, the vB IP block is fairly resource-intensive. You might be better off adding an htaccess file to the base-web directory, and adding DENY commands for each offending IP. That way, they never even get to the vB code.
        Sorry, could you please elaborate on this? Is it something I could do, or would I need the server people to help out with it?

Thanks

Comment

You'd need the server folks to do it, unless you have root access. Just ask them about creating an "htaccess" file to "deny" certain IP ranges. They'll know exactly what you're talking about. I posted a thread in here months ago asking about that very thing. I was referred to an excellent tutorial site.

The actual creation of the htaccess file takes a few seconds. It's in clear-text (not some bizarre coded language). But you have to enable the use of htaccess files on the server, which is what your host will have to answer. Once enabled, you just create one in Notepad, and FTP it up to the base web directory. All done...

Example lines from an htaccess file:

deny from 101.34.252.
          deny from google.com
          deny from 111.222.44.55

Comment

Thank you so much. This sounds like the deal! I'll contact the server right away.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X