No announcement yet.

How do I ensure a backup is completed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I ensure a backup is completed?

How do I know that I have successfully backed up my database using the MySQL Dump feature through SSH?

I use the following code to backup my forum and then download the file off my server after its ready:

PHP Code:
     mysqldump --opt --upaintbal_admin -p paintbal_vbulletin FILE_NAME_TO_SAVE_AS.SQL 
    The file is something like 650 Mb. How can I ensure that I have the completed file. Obviously if I try to open it with a text editor it crashs the editor.

Also... is this considered a "full backup"? I mean if my server crashed, would that file alone be enough to restore my VBulletin forum? (aside from just the basic template modifications I have made.)

Thanks for any help. I just want to be 100 percent sure I have all the data I need in case of a server crash.

Look at the last five lines in the file. Depending on your server you may be able to use the 'tail' command for this.

tail backup.sql
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

P.S. The last two lines should be:

UNLOCK TABLES;
      /*!40000 ALTER TABLE word ENABLE KEYS */;
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        Look at the last five lines in the file. Depending on your server you may be able to use the 'tail' command for this.

tail backup.sql
        Exactly how do I run that command?

Comment

Working...
        X