Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am getting killed with Spammers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Imprezer
    [...] using IP spoofing [...]
    If they were spoofing their IPs, they wouldn't be getting a response back. The server would send the packages to the wrong address.

    Comment


    • #17
      what email addresses are these guys using? i think it is just a matter of time now until they hit my forum...
      - Luke
      www.GarageJunkies.net

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by luckydevil
        what email addresses are these guys using? i think it is just a matter of time now until they hit my forum...
        gmail.. msn.. yahoo.. the usual ones.

        havent heard from them for a while.. we wrote a script that runs via cron to scan for certain strings in the DB in PMs .. it then "disables" users sending Pms with those strings. Possabilities for false positives occur... but thats ok.
        http://www.tamparacing.com - Floridas #1 Automotive Community
        http://www.tampaforums.com - Tampa's #1 Place for Shennanigans

        Comment


        • #19
          My site got hit with this today as well... Stuff like this really pisses me off.

          Comment


          • #20
            My forum was hit once, a long time ago. I contacted their webhost Abuse department, their registrar, the site owner, and banned the entire IP block. Yep, that stopped them good.
            So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

            Comment


            • #21
              Kim? Dude, my 2 cents, but I would not want to get him pissed at you. He has the tech, the money, the people, and the time. Pick your battles and your methods of protection. I would not want to motivate him.

              Originally posted by Zate
              TTT.

              I sent the owner of the website an email asking him to stop his spam bots, and to stop misusing my TOS.

              His response:

              "
              Kim Schmitz <[email protected]> to me
              Show options Jan 25 (16 hours ago)
              Dont waste my time kiddo. One more "demand" and your site goes Valhalla!
              - Show quoted text -"

              Comment


              • #22
                My site was targeted by this today. I was alerted to what was happening soon after it began so put a stop to it fairly quickly.



                Image and email verification will not stop this. I have both enabled. I detected 30 different accounts sending out private messages and emails to the members. The accounts were registered 2-3 weeks ago. There were a number of different IP addresses used as well. I already had a "newbie" usergroup set up, so simply turned off private messaging completely for that group and disabled the ability to send emails to members. From within mysql I also deleted every private message with the title of "
                The Ultimate Rally - Summer 2006." There were about 700 total. I also added "ultimaterally" to the censor.



                All the accounts used gmail, but there wasn't anything to distinguish them from "real" members.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Image and Email verifcation only keep the robots out, anyone deicated enough to do this needs a real life sadly./

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Looks like it's someone with more cash than common sense.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      That {***********} again.

                      Sorry that you had to deal with him. He thinks hes god or somthing, and if you "try" to ban him he claims he will "takedown" your site.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Zachery
                        That {***********} again.

                        Sorry that you had to deal with him. He thinks hes god or somthing, and if you "try" to ban him he claims he will "takedown" your site.
                        we've dealt with worse.

                        we just put in a script to scan our db for his crap and remove it and disable the user sending the stuff. Works pretty quick, any other times we have been hit they get off about 5 messages before the accountis disabled.. becomes no return for time invested on their behalf.
                        http://www.tamparacing.com - Floridas #1 Automotive Community
                        http://www.tampaforums.com - Tampa's #1 Place for Shennanigans

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Zate
                          we've dealt with worse.

                          we just put in a script to scan our db for his crap and remove it and disable the user sending the stuff. Works pretty quick, any other times we have been hit they get off about 5 messages before the accountis disabled.. becomes no return for time invested on their behalf.
                          Zate

                          Can you share the script as I got hit this morning.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Not sure if the method they're using will bypass this, but I think you could try enabling flood control on PMs...
                            Admin CP > vBulletin Options > Private Messaging Options >Floodcheck - Minimum Time Between Messages
                            Try setting the floodcheck to over 60 seconds.


                            http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/image...avbit-home.png Eclipse Records - independent record company focused on active rock & alternative metal music
                            http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/image...avbit-home.png Streetcult Street Team Marketing - grassroots marketing, promotion, consulting, & digital distribution

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Antivirus
                              Not sure if the method they're using will bypass this, but I think you could try enabling flood control on PMs...
                              Admin CP > vBulletin Options > Private Messaging Options >Floodcheck - Minimum Time Between Messages
                              Try setting the floodcheck to over 60 seconds.


                              They were using bots... Setting floodcheck to 60 seconds only slows them down. The bots will continue to try until they get a success.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Probably try adopting some legal methods to get rid of abusers/spammers.
                                Thats the best way to get rid of them.
                                TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X