Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am getting killed with Spammers

I need help. Badly.

My forum members are getting SPAMMED through PM system by a large number of recently registered members using IP spoofing and fake @gmail.com e-mails.

When I look "WHO IS ONLINE" I can see all those usernames in "Sending Forum Feedback".

My members are getting pissed off.

I am scared that my database was compromised, but I don't think so.

They only use PM's.

I am using 3.0.1 Vb.

Please help me stop this and point me to the right direction of fixing this.

I think it may be a bot attack.

I have WYSIWYG disabled and image verification enabled. E-mail verification was off, but I turned it on now.

HELP!

www.i-club.com

Well, first things first, was to turn on image and email verifcation. this should stop 99.9% of spammers if they are using bogus gmail or other email accounts

AdminCP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > Edit the "Users Awaiting Email Confirmation" usergroup > Private Message Permissions > Maximum Stored Messages > 0

Now, from there on, if they want to complete this process over and over nothing short of moderating all members yourself or banning IP's is going to stop them

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
      Well, first things first, was to turn on image and email verifcation. this should stop 99.9% of spammers if they are using bogus gmail or other email accounts

AdminCP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > Edit the "Users Awaiting Email Confirmation" usergroup > Private Message Permissions > Maximum Stored Messages > 0

Now, from there on, if they want to complete this process over and over nothing short of moderating all members yourself or banning IP's is going to stop them
      Image Verification was on.
      E-mail Verification was off.

Is this something common?
      Is this an automated/script attack? I mean I have like 30 of them online right now pounding on doors, ahaha.

I disabled PM's for now completely until I figure this out.

Thanks!

Comment

Ok, I figured it out. It was not auto.

Check this out guys. This is so lame... What a douchbag! I hope he gets hit by a missle. Read this guys...

http://board.ultimaterally.com/forum...1b87e0dffd0663

"Hello to all supporters of the Ultimate Rally,

Last Friday we launched a guerrilla marketing campaign in which we reached 1 million members of the "car enthusiasts" community on 20 different forums in the USA, UK and Germany. It was a great success and we received dozens of new applications. The sooner the Ultimate Rally marketing phase is over and all 100 team slots are filled the better for us. Our plan is to sell ALL driver slots and all guest passes before the end of this year. It will allow my team to focus entirely on organizing this event. Therefor we are going to launch a second wave of advanced ultimate guerrilla marketing. http://board.ultimaterally.com/forum...s/20_cylon.gif

Please send me an email to [email protected] if you speak one of the following languages:
        Turkish, Arabic, Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, Portoguese, French or Korean.
        We need your help to translate our "500 words" marketing message.

We are planning to contact 5 million car enthusiasts around the world.
        Please send us the links to the most famous car & racing forums in the following countries:
        Spain, France, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Canada, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Brunai, Kuwait, China & Hong Kong, South Korea and most importantly JAPAN

Each forum link that you provide to us will be worth 50 USD of Ultimate Rally shopping goods for you. If your link was used in this campaign you can spend your credit in our Ultimate Rally Online Shop.

Your help in this matter is highly appreciated.
        Kimble

P.S. Forum links ONLY by email or private message please. Thanks!"

Comment

If you do as i said you should be good.

Comment

Another option would be to use the Usergroups -> Promotions in conjunction with usergroups. Have a "New Member" user group that does not allow access to PM's. Then use a "Promotion" that promotes them to a Registered Member once they have made 1 post (or 5 or whatever..)

Comment

Good thinking! going to do that now Torqued.
              I use the vBulletin platform for The Recognized Expert Marketing Radio Show. Who says vB can't do podcasts right?

Comment

Originally posted by citricguy
                Good thinking! going to do that now Torqued.
                We have contacted the ISP that hosts the site by phone and they are going to read this thread and respond to us via email. We want the spammers website shut down.

We are also invetigating Texas Spam Law, such as listed here --> http://www.spambrigade.com/texas.html

with the intent of perhaps following up with some legal action to the person who owns the website, or the ISP if action isnt taken.
                http://www.tamparacing.com - Floridas #1 Automotive Community
                http://www.tampaforums.com - Tampa's #1 Place for Shennanigans

Comment

I thought I would bring this back up since these *******s are still going strong. I just saw another car site this morning get slammed with pm's and emails to all the members.
                  - Luke
                  www.GarageJunkies.net

Comment

Please contact ev1.net, thier phone number is: 713.341.7873

Go to website technical support, and tell them you have an abuse complaint with ultimaterally.com. If they claim they are not hosting this domain, give them the ip address of the server. They will then verify they are a client. Complain about the spamming and ask to speak to abuse.

Also email them at [email protected] from what the support guy was telling me, they were looking at me emails while I was on the phone with them.

The more people that call and email, the quicker this will all end!

Comment

TTT.

I sent the owner of the website an email asking him to stop his spam bots, and to stop misusing my TOS.

His response:

"
                      Kim Schmitz <[email protected]> to me
                      Show options Jan 25 (16 hours ago)
                      Dont waste my time kiddo. One more "demand" and your site goes Valhalla!
                      - Show quoted text -"

Comment

Backup, make another demand, if he does anything you have his name, just hope his not in some random country

Comment

Originally posted by Torqued
                          Another option would be to use the Usergroups -> Promotions in conjunction with usergroups. Have a "New Member" user group that does not allow access to PM's. Then use a "Promotion" that promotes them to a Registered Member once they have made 1 post (or 5 or whatever..)
                          I'd like more details on this. I created the user group and set up the promotion, but newly registered members are not going into the new group. How do I get them to be automatically put into the new group?

Comment

Newly registered users go into usergroupid 2 (by default the 'Registered' group.) If you need more help, then please start a new thread with all the relevant details.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Imprezer
                              I am using 3.0.1 Vb.
                              As no one else has mentioned it (or so it seems), shouldn't you upgrade to vB 3.0.6? An unpatched vB 3.0.1 version has got a couple of security holes, AFAIK.
                              meow

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X