Reinstalling vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstalling vBulletin

I might gonna reinstall my whole forum, this because some changes in the crew, and a new 'concept' for the whole website, and forum.

No I am confused about something. The forum needs an activation on the installation (with the vBulletin server) to proceed, but my account number has already been activated etc. Can this be a problem?

Also, how do I succesfully uninstall the old forum, without manually removing all database queries?

1. No activation is required. You just need to enter the correct customer number with the new install.

2. I don't understand what you mean by 'without manually removing all database queries'? Please explain.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I mean by 'manually removing all database queries' is that I want to start a clean forum, so I need to uninstall the complete forum, including the database tables. Is there an uninstallation tool or something? Or do I need to log into my phpMyAdmin and delete all vBulletin database queries/tables manually.

Comment

You can not uninstall vBulletin and only keep certain aspects.

Comment

So, I can't uninstall vBulletin... but I want to make a clean start with everything, so users and posts, language, themes, add-ons etc. Any other tips for this?

Comment

You can 'drop' the database you use now, and install vBulletin fresh again.

If you want to keep the users, posts, threads .. I suggest you make a NEW database, install vBulletin fresh! And then install ImpEx and import the users, threads, posts, etc. After which you can delete the old database.

Comment

Okay, and how do I drop all tables? Do I need that manually in the phpMyAdmin with an SQL-command? Or does vBulletin has a tool for it?

Comment

If you reinstall, you will have an option to empty the database automatically. Please be aware this will remove ALL info and you will be starting out with a completely fresh forum.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Okay, that makes sense. This is the info I was searching for, and I will remember it, and use it when I gonna reinstall my vBulletin.

Comment

am i right to say that i can actually first
                    backup the entire database or use impex to do a backup 1st.
                    shift out this backup data to elsewhere and did a reinstall followed by placing this backup back to the reinstalled vB ?

Comment

No, Impex is not used for backing up the db. Please start your own thread with a description of what you want to do.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                        If you reinstall, you will have an option to empty the database automatically. Please be aware this will remove ALL info and you will be starting out with a completely fresh forum.
                        Still have a question now. Can I use Impex to export the userinfo from vBulletin3.0.3, and then reinstall the forum, and after the reinstall, import them again with Impex?

Comment

No, ImpEx doesn't export at the moment.

Comment

I just made a database back-up, can I import the users from there, after the reinstall?

Comment

Yes. Restore the database into a new database.
                              Then install vbulletin and then install impex on that vbulletin.
                              Then you can point the impexconfig.php file to the old database and the new vb installation and import

Impex can't pull it out of the .sql dump, only from the data inside a database.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X