Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a time limit on typing a reply ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a time limit on typing a reply ?

...Twice, I've been typing a very long reply to a post. When I click 'submit', it gives me an error saying that I don't have permissions to post. Is there a time limit?

No. And since I assume you Admin your board, you should never see that error (as long as you're logged on to your board.)

Comment

Originally posted by niknejm
      ...Twice, I've been typing a very long reply to a post. When I click 'submit', it gives me an error saying that I don't have permissions to post. Is there a time limit?
      Yes, the cookie timeout limit is the time limit.
      If the cookie is set to 900 seconds and you are not pressing a link, it removes the session from the session table after 900 seconds. (typing a new reply is like having the browser closed)

The users online page shows users in the last 900 seconds period. If you raise the 900 timeout to 2700 your online users page will for example double the amount of online users.

Comment

lost reply - reviving this thread

Originally posted by Floris
        If the cookie is set to 900 seconds and you are not pressing a link, it removes the session from the session table after 900 seconds. (typing a new reply is like having the browser closed)
        OK - I had a user complain today that he lost a lengthy reply several times in a row. He said that he went to submit the reply and was reprompted to log in again.

Isn't typing in the text editor an actvity that keeps the session open? Or perhaps he stepped away and came back to submit. I've asked for more details, but suspect this might be a cookie problem after reading this thread.

I also notice that I stay logged in even unless I log out - what I mean is, I close my browser and when I open it again, I'm still logged in. Could it be that this user has something set on his end that automatically times out his sessions?

Comment

Originally posted by nayomie
          Isn't typing in the text editor an actvity that keeps the session open?
          No, that doesn't keep the session active because nothing is actually being submitted to the web page.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The default cookie time is 900 seconds, which is 15 minutes, which is about enough time to write a pretty long post If you experience this you could raise it to 1800 for example. If the user then still has this issue .. it could just be a cookie settings being set wrong. You could give me a PM with your ftp and forum details and I could have a quick look to see if anything is set incorrectly (cookie-wise) and point it out if so.

Comment

thanks -

I haven't fooled with any of the cookie settings and I do recall that the default is 900. We sometimes do put a lot of thought into what we write so I think I'll go ahead and raise the time limit. I just needed to confirm whether or not this could be the problem. I think adjusting the time limit will take care of this.

Thanks!

Comment

This is the time in seconds that a user must remain inactive before any unread posts are marked read. This setting also controls how long a user will remain on Who's Online after their last activity.

It's too bad that all these are all affected by one setting, because we really need to have the reply to message sessions last longer, but don't want users still showing as online 30 minutes later

Mark
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Floris

The users online page shows users in the last 900 seconds period. If you raise the 900 timeout to 2700 your online users page will for example double the amount of online users.
                  I learn something new here every day (which is why I hang out here so much).

Thanks for that tidbit.

Comment

Working...
                  X