Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Then try eliminating wildcards. If that doesn't work then I don't know of any way to stop this error except by increasing the max_packet_size.

Leave a comment:

• fiNal
    replied
    reducing the numer of serach results didn't change anything. i decreased it from 500 to 20, still getting this error. it seams like vbulletin is executing this query before it checks about the limitation of search results.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    You could try that - or you could just reduce the number of search results as I suggested earlier.

Leave a comment:

• fiNal
    replied
    I just talked to the user who produced this sql-error. he searched for '*', cause he wanted to search for all posts in a single forum (dunno why, but he did that ). * matched all entries in word table, so this query was the logical result.

does this mean that i have to turn off 'Allow Search Wild Cards'? i'd like to keep this option on, but this is an invitation to flood my mailbox

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    You can reduce the number of search results in the Admin CP. Other thaqn that I don't think there is anything else you can do except incread the max_packet_size.

Leave a comment:

• fiNal
    replied
    Steve, i don't want do change my max_allowed_packet. i want to prevent that my users execute 4MB queries and i still wonder how he made this.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Make this change to my.cnf:

set-variable=max_allowed_packet=xM

Change it to the size ('x') you want in Megabytes. Restart MySQL after making these changes.

Leave a comment:

• fiNal
    started a topic Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes

Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes

Hi

I just received three mails, filled with 4MB of ... bull****, coming from vbulletin In fact, a user made it to let execute vbulletin search.php this query:

Database error in vBulletin 3.0.3:
    Invalid SQL:
    SELECT postid
    FROM postindex
    WHERE wordid
    IN(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,[...],334145,334146,334147,334148)

mysql error: Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes
    mysql error number: 1153
    Date: Monday 13th of December 2004 05:18:10 PM
    Script:
    http://www.skilled.ch/vb/search.php
    Referer: http://www.skilled.ch/vb/search.php?
    Username: abcxyz
    IP Address: 1.2.3.4

In the WHERE-statement, there was every single number from 1 to 334148. well, max_allowed_packet is somethig like 1M or 2M, so this huge query was rejected.

how is something possible? how did this use made it? isn't this a security hole?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X