Problem with posting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with posting

I've done a search and couldn't find anything specific to this, althought there were similar none helped.

Its a problem i and some (not all) members get when trying to reply to a post or making a new one. The problem happens when you use Quick Reply and Advanced way of replying. The problem happens when you've pressed submit reply, or new thread. When going to the newreply.php and newthread.php file (after pressing submit new thread or reply) i get a Cannot display the page.

So i need you help. I don't what causes the problem and i don't know how to solve it.

So, the causes. Could it be:
    1. The browser people use causing the problem
    2. A glitch/bug with the page
    3. A problem/bug with the database
    4. Something else...

The cures:
    1. Add/Edit the code on the newreply.php and newthread.php file
    2. Add/Edit code on another page
    3. Get the server to sort out the database
    4. Something else...

I hope to hear from you soon. Thank You

Have you installed any hacks or modified your templates?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

We have installed 13 or 14 skins. They are made by extremepixels. And we currently have the snow mod installed. The problem was occurring just as frequently before the snow mod was installed. But i can't remeber if there was a problem before the skins were installed - its been about year.

Comment

Try this. Create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Then ask the members having this problem to change to this style and view your forums with it. Do they have the same problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Instead of putting up a new skin a changed to one that i only installed a few days ago, and when installing i choose 'no parent style.' The problem still occurs. But slightly different this time it still ave me the 'Cannot display page' message but it at least posted. I'm going to have to bump the post though.

I tried posting in the thread which i tested before posting this. And it alwasy gave me the 'Cannot display page' message and it wouldn't post. Now that i changed skins it posts but sill give me the 'Cannot display page' message and i had to bump it.

It was, before i changed the skin just completely blanking me out, it just gave me a 'Cannot display page' message all the time. Its the first time its happened to me, but it allowed others to post because i got other members to test for me.

Any other solutions?

Comment

Please try my suggestion. This will detemine if the problem is related to any template changes or not, which is why I suggested it.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Ok, i've put a new style in. I've asked a few members who got the problem and a few qhich didn't to stay on the skin for a day. I'll post the results of the test tomorrow.

Thanks

Comment

The template which i added as you suggested seems to be working fine. I haven't had any rpoblems and neither has anyone else on that skin. But its only been one day so its a bit soon to call the shots. Although the problem happened more than once a day so i think i would have happened by now if it was going to...

So what shall i do?

Comment

Since the problem goes away with the original templates, the problem is due to one or more changes in your custom templates. I think you'll just need to start looking at those templates to see what you changed and try to identify the offending code.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Sorry about this. As i said one day is very short testing in time in something like this. And as im posting this im getting the rpoblem, repeatly over and over every time i submit the post. Its on the new template i uploaded.

So, whats wrong?

P.S Sorry about this...

Comment

I don't know what's wrong with your custom template. Sorry.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Its happens to all the templates i think. It happens on the default one (and i installed all the skins with the 'No parent style') and the new skin i installed.

Could it be a database error or just a glitch/problem with html/php somewhere?

Comment

You originally said the problem goes away with the default templates. Thus the problem is in your custom templates.

The template which i added as you suggested seems to be working fine.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

The template you told me to add worked for about aday then started messing up. The default skin messes up aswell, all the skins do thats is why i don't know what to do...

Comment

Hmmm...it doesn't make sense that something would stop working without any changes. If this problem occurs with entirely default vB files and templates, then the only other options are:

- the problem is server-related
                              - there is an occasional routing problem between your server and the user's ISP
                              - the problem is on the user end

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Working...
                              X