Moved Database to New Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moved Database to New Server

Well... I figured my way of doing it was different than the way anyone else has done it, so I made a new thread.

Awhile back, I installed the pets hack or whatever, and decided I didn't like it. I apparently uninstalled it improperly causing a lot of problems. I couldn't create or edit usergroups. I couldn't use forum/thread tools. I wasn't able to do a lot. If that wasn't bad enough, the server I was already hosting this on sucked. Got an internal server error every twenty or so hits to the forums.

I decided I was going to move servers and domains. I've been going at this for awhile. Well, I didn't want to lose my members or my posts/threads, so I did it this way... Through the database backup option in the AdminCP, I downloaded one at a time (that I didn't think would come from the problem), and replaced the tables on the new server. Now, I was told by a friend that that wasn't a bad idea. It worked for him one time.

Well, I think I've got everything I needed, but it's not looking good. The forums showed up. Usergroups showed up. That's about it... However- all of my users show up on the members list, but in the statistics, no one's there except me. For posts, it shows all the posts and by who in phpMyAdmin, but they don't show up on the forums. Same goes for threads.

Basically, I'm looking for a way to restore the good parts of my database to a new server. I want my users, posts, threads, forums, and usergroups. Nothing else! That's all! Can anyone help me?
    Transient Dreamer
    She makes everything worthwhile.

Well how did you restore it? You explained how you backed up but how did you restore?

You really cant do just a restore via a sql dump of users posts threads and forums.

Comment

Oh yeah. Haha. I did it through phpMyAdmin. I backed up one table at a time and uploaded one table at a time inside the SQL of each individual table. Did that make sense? I think it did.

My problem with this is... if I move it all, I'm just going to bring the problem with it. Is this because of the statistics?
      Transient Dreamer

Comment

Essentially if you do a complete backup and restore of the original database, then all the original data and info would be there.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          Essentially if you do a complete backup and restore of the original database, then all the original data and info would be there.
          I know that, but that would also bring the problems with it, correct? When I installed some hacks, they made changes to the database, right? Added tables. Changed tables. All of that nasty stuff. Right now, when I try to change a usergroup, I get an error saying a whole bunch of stuff.

If I moved it all, wouldn't that come along with it?
          Transient Dreamer

Comment

That depends on your hacks. Some change the db and some don't. For specific answers you will need to post in the appropriate threads for these hacks over at vbulletin.org.

As for the errors, were you getting these errors prior to the move? If not, then something else is going wrong. What are the exact errors?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I'm not getting the errors right now on the new server because I'm not getting anything.

I installed the arcade hac and everything went smoothly. I had no problems. Then I installed the pets hack. However, I had forgotten to make a back-up before doing so. After the installation, just little things around were acting up so I just decided to take it out. I went through an uninstall script someone gave me. Removed the php files, etc..

Afterwards, someone told me I uninstalled it wrong. When I try to change a usergroup, I get the follow:

Seems to be a slight problem... etc..

Database error in vBulletin 3.0.3:
              Invalid SQL: UPDATE usergroup SET
              ### UPDATE QUERY GENERATED BY fetch_query_sql() ###
              title = 'Banned Users',
              description = '',
              usertitle = 'Banned',
              opentag = '',
              closetag = '',
              passwordexpires = '0',
              passwordhistory = '0',
              ispublicgroup = '0',
              canoverride = '0',
              canseehiddencustomfields = '0',
              attachlimit = '0',
              profilepicmaxwidth = '100',
              profilepicmaxheight = '100',
              profilepicmaxsize = '65535',
              pmquota = '0',
              pmsendmax = '0',
              canuserep = '0',
              cannegativerep = '0',
              canseeownrep = '0',
              canhiderep = '0',
              forumpermissions = '0',
              pmpermissions = '0',
              calendarpermissions = '0',
              wolpermissions = '0',
              adminpermissions = '0',
              genericpermissions = '0',
              genericoptions = '32',
              arcadepermissions = '0'
              WHERE usergroupid=8
              mysql error: Unknown column 'canseehiddencustomfields' in 'field list'
              mysql error number: 1054
              Date: Saturday 11th of December 2004 01:42:05 PM
              Script: http://forums.xyarub.com/admincp/usergroup.php
              Referer: http://forums.xyarub.com/admincp/use...&usergroupid=8
              Username: xYarub
              IP Address:

It'll do this on every usergroup. I can't change nor create new ones.
              Transient Dreamer

Comment

You said"

I get an error saying a whole bunch of stuff
                I was trying to learn what those errors were. However the point is moot now. We cannot provide support for forums running code we did not write. That error is from one of your hacks. Please ask for help over at vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Actually, Steve, what you said worked. I just took everything over and the problem did not go with it. I just wanted to say thank you for your time and advise. I'm a very happy person right now.
                  Transient Dreamer

Comment

Summery:

We do not provide support for modified source code / mysql tables or their fields.

If you move a server from one forum to another your installation will work fine if you make a 100% complete backup of the site. This is the forum database dump and the forum directory.

This also means that if you have custom code, custom database fields .. it will take those with it. And that means it will work after the server move.

If you restore the .sql dump and don't upload the hacked files but the files from the vbulletin .zip file .. you might run into a error.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X