When I reboot MySQL who is online resets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I reboot MySQL who is online resets

Hi, I was wondering when I restart MySQL the who is online data all resets, I
    was wondering if I can change this some how so when I reset the server it does
    not reset the who is online ?
    Last edited by rh2004; Thu 9th Dec '04, 8:01pm.

The table in the database that stores sessions is a HEAP table.

This means it sits in memory and not on disk.

This is very good for performance as it means that whenever a person comes onto the site it's not generating a disk write, and it also means queries are faster.

However it's bad in that it's in memory and when MySql is killed the table is effectively purged.

You can change your table type to MyISAM if you want sessions to persist across restarts... however you will suffer performance issues in comparison to HEAP tables, and the table will certainly acquire a large overhead.

Recommendation... leave it as HEAP and don't go around restarting your MySql needlessly.
    London Fixed-gear and Single-speed

Comment

I don't believe that is quite true. For instance the server for these forums has been restarted several times over the last few days without resetting the max online data. Assuming this is what rh2004 is talking about, then this is not normal. That info should not reset like this.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

He said the Who Is Online data. Who's Online is generated from the session table. Max Online from the datastore.
        London Fixed-gear and Single-speed

Comment

Yes, I know.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Yes I did an HTTP reboot not full one of the server, and it did not reset, but when
            I restarted MYSQL it resets the who is online, so whom was online for example in the
            past 30mins would disappear...

Comment

As buro9 said, this is exactly what should happen since the current Who's Online data is kept in memory (HEAP table.)

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Working...
              X