Too much clutter on the main page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much clutter on the main page

Too much clutter on the main page that I want to clear up a little. Here's what I'd like to do but can't seem to fingure out how. I searched and the closest matching thread was for v2.

On the main page
    http://www.eastcoasthonda.org/public_html/echmain/index.php?

I want it to only display one sub-category layer within a category. So for example, The main category Tech Forum, I want it to only display the categories "Acura Tech Forum" and "Honda Tech Forum" but not list EVERY sub-category or forum contained within those two.

and at the same time, I don't want it to affect sub-forums so that when you click on "Acura Tech Forum" it shows 1 sub-category deep and ALL forums within that category layer like here:
    http://www.eastcoasthonda.org/public...splay.php?f=19

I would also like to seperate the categories more. Like the main category "Tech Forum and the one layer of sub-forums to be be displayed in one table. Then a few blank spaces before the next table starts that has the next main category "Entertainment". Etc... I just want them to be seperated more without adding a thicker border.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Originally posted by ACCLUDE
    Too much clutter on the main page that I want to clear up a little. Here's what I'd like to do but can't seem to fingure out how. I searched and the closest matching thread was for v2.

On the main page
    http://www.eastcoasthonda.org/public_html/echmain/index.php?

I want it to only display one sub-category layer within a category. So for example, The main category Tech Forum, I want it to only display the categories "Acura Tech Forum" and "Honda Tech Forum" but not list EVERY sub-category or forum contained within those two.

and at the same time, I don't want it to affect sub-forums so that when you click on "Acura Tech Forum" it shows 1 sub-category deep and ALL forums within that category layer like here:
    http://www.eastcoasthonda.org/public...splay.php?f=19
    Try editing this template:

Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> -> Forum Home Templates -> forumhome_forumbit_level2_nopost

Remove the red code:

Code:
    <tr>
    	<td class="tcat"><span class="smallfont">&nbsp;</span></td>
    	<td class="tcat" colspan="<if condition="$vboptions['showmoderatorcolumn']">5<else />4</if>">
    		<a href="forumdisplay.php?$session[sessionurl]f=$forum[forumid]">$forum[title]</a>
    		<if condition="$show['forumdescription']"><div class="smallfont">$forum[description]</div></if>
    		<if condition="$show['subforums']"><div class="smallfont"><strong>$vbphrase[subforums]</strong>: $forum[subforums]</div></if>
    	</td>
    </tr>
    $childforumbits
    This will remove subforums from level2 categories.

Originally posted by ACCLUDE
    I would also like to seperate the categories more. Like the main category "Tech Forum and the one layer of sub-forums to be be displayed in one table. Then a few blank spaces before the next table starts that has the next main category "Entertainment". Etc... I just want them to be seperated more without adding a thicker border.
    See this thread.

Comment

Thanks! You're awesome

Comment

Ok, your instructions for only displying 1 sub-category deep is working perfect.

However, when I followed the instructions from your link to add a space between categories, the last category doesn't get a space like the rest of them. It does this on every page so I'm guessing the problem might be in the FORUMDISPLAY template?

Sorry for seeming like a retard, but when it comes to PHP I'm a total idiot.

Comment

Post the contents of your forumhome_forumbit_level1_nopost template.

Comment

Ok, that little hint of which template to check was good enough. I had a </table> missing from the top.

Once I get used to the templates and know which template does what, I should be good to go, but this is all new to me and fairly confusing. I'll get the hang of it soon (hopefully).

Thanks again Jake!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X