X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step 2 Install/Upgrade Error

Step 2) Connect to the database

Attempting to attach to database

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/dfusion/public_html/forums/includes/db_mysql.php on line 140

The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please confirm the values entered in the 'includes/config.php' file.

--------------------------------------------------

I have searched, and seen this error loads on times on the forums, but the only 'suggestions' i see are "Check you details...etc".

I KNOW my details are correct. They work elsewhere to connect.

Is there anything else it could be?

I have just move all my files, and dumped/reloaded my DB onto a NEW server using the same domain as the previous server.

This error means either:

1. One or more of the following is wrong in your config.php file:

$servername (except in rare case, this should almost always be left as 'localhost')
    $dbusername
    $dbpassword
    $dbname

If you are unsure of what the appropriate values are then you will need to ask your web host.

2. Or that this db user is not assigned to that database or does not have permission to access MySQL to create or access a database. You may need to first manually create the database and assign the db user to it. Since each web host is different, if you do not know how to do this then contact your web host for help.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

ok. I am My Webhost, and know the values are correct.

I have also tried creating a new DB & User.. but it gives me the same error..

*update*

I was using the actual servername. Changed to LocalHost, and all worked.

Cheers.

Comment

That is why I included 'localhost' as one of the possibilities.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

now, on the next screen, i click 'upgrade', and it shows me a 'could not find phrase' box.

Infact, I try to get into my adminCP, and turn my forums back on, and it keep showing me 'different' types of 'could not find phrase' errors..

any ideas?

Comment

Is your PHP compiled with XML support? Are you running install.php or upgrade.php? Do you have a phpinfo.php file? If not create a text file with this content:

PHP Code:
            <?php
            phpinfo
            ();
            ?>
            Name it 'phpinfo.php' then upload it to your forum directory and post the URL here.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

As Far as I know..

http://www.designerfusion.com/forums/phpinfo.php

My forums are currently turned on: http://www.designerfusion.com/forums/index.php

but all i get is a blank page.

And mY AdminCP is filled with 'blanks'.

Comment

Are you running install or upgrade?

Also make sure there is no whitespace or extra lines in config.php either before the <?php or after the ?>. This is the most common cause of 'white' pages.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I was running /forums/install/install.php and clicking the 'upgrade' option on step 3 i think it was..

No whitespace at the head or footer of config.php either..

Comment

I'm confused. You haven't finished upgrading yet, correct? Also you should be running upgrade.php, not install.php.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      I'm confused. You haven't finished upgrading yet, correct? Also you should be running upgrade.php, not install.php.
                      I had moved servers, and reloaded the Database, but still got the DB error.

I read in another posts on here that I should run the 'install/upgrade' to set everything in order.

Im running vb 3.0.3

Would it help if i gave u the admin info etc? or would that be an offical support ticket i would need to submit?

Comment

Still confused, I'm afraid. Your fist post listed a db error from running install. If you were moving servers, then there is no reason to run eiyther install or upgrade. In fact doing so could cause problems with your database..

At this point it's unclear exactly what has been done. I suggest doing the database backup and restore again. The only reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. Please see the instructions here:

Backup:
                        http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...nce_ssh_backup

Restore:
                        http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ce_ssh_restore

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Still confused, I'm afraid. Your fist post listed a db error from running install. If you were moving servers, then there is no reason to run eiyther install or upgrade. In fact doing so could cause problems with your database..

At this point it's unclear exactly what has been done. I suggest doing the database backup and restore again. The only reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. Please see the instructions here:

Backup:
                          http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...nce_ssh_backup

Restore:
                          http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ce_ssh_restore

Neither install or upgrade have actually run as yet.

there was that small error, but thats irrelivant now.

Its a case of what you see is what i got after 3 backup & reloads.

I've been up all night trying to figure out why its not working...

This is where i resides on my old server:

http://67.18.196.228/~dfusion/forums/index.php

via telnet/ssh, I do an SQL dump (mysqldump), which i then reload on the new server with (source sqlfile.sql).

The files were gzipped, transferred and extracted.

Comment

The white pages are due to one of these causes:

1. You did not upload the vB files correctly. Reupload the vB non-image files and make sure you upload these in ASCII format and that you overwrite the ones on the server. Make sure you upload the 3.0.3 Admin CP files to the admincp directory specified in your config.php file.

2. You have extra space or lines in your config.php file. Make sure there is no whitespace or extra lines in config.php either before the <?php or after the ?>.

3. You have added code to your header, headinclude or phpinclude templates that is no longer functional.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

The white pages are due to one of these causes:

1. You did not upload the vB files correctly. Reupload the vB non-image files and make sure you upload these in ASCII format and that you overwrite the ones on the server. Make sure you upload the 3.0.3 Admin CP files to the admincp directory specified in your config.php file.

2. You have extra space or lines in your config.php file. Make sure there is no whitespace or extra lines in config.php either before the <?php or after the ?>.

3. You have added code to your header, headinclude or phpinclude templates that is no longer functional.
                              I will re-upload all the (non-image) files.. and see how that goes, as that is the only possibility given your options..

Comment

Working...
                              X