Images - A few questions - thanks in advance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Images - A few questions - thanks in advance

I have some questions (they may be basic)

I have let people insert images and attachments but I have a fairly big board and it has got out of hand.

If someone could answer these below questions - I would appreciate it. I really need an answer to each so I can weigh options.

1. Is it possible to make it where no one can insert images anywhere, except avatars. This would include by attachment or the insert image button and it would not matter if I was hosting the image or not. I basically would like to know if it could be eliminated completely.

2. Could I limit the size on any image? I know I can set the attachment size, etc but what about inserted images?

3. Prefer this - Can I make it where the default is, that guests can not see any images at all inserted and attachments? I know everyone can personbally check the box about viewing images, avatars and signatures. Can the default be set to off for these for guests?

If someone can let me know the options - I thank you in advance.
    Last edited by malljack; Mon 6th Dec '04, 12:52pm.

1. Turn off attachments in the Usergroup settings. And set Allow [IMG] Code to 'No' in the forum manager settings for each forum.

2. There is no way to do this with images added with [img] code.

3. There is no built-in option to set these permissions for Guests.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Steve,

Thank you. If I do #1 - There will be no way for any member to insert any image? I will not have to worry about it. And it will not effect smiles or avatars?

Thanks again.

Comment

Yes.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks Steve. I did do all of this.

One last thing. Is there anyway to make it where unregistered users can only see text and not avatars? This is important

Comment

There is no built-in setting to do that. It can probably be done with conditionals. Here is the online documentation for using template conditionals:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...e_conditionals

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Wow - It looks like it can be done. To bad I am a dummy. LOL

Maybe one of the experts in here has done it and can give me some more help.

Thanks Steve, you have helped a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                1. Turn off attachments in the Usergroup settings. And set Allow [IMG] Code to 'No' in the forum manager settings for each forum.

3. There is no built-in option to set these permissions for Guests.
                So will method 1 above block the [IMG] method of posting images? If not is there a way to that? Thanks.

Comment

Yes, that is what it will do.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Is there a way to set the above globally to all forums, as well as new and yet to be created forums? Thanks.

Comment

The former can probably be done with a query, but since this is a bitfield I am not sure what that query would be.

The latter requires modifying the code. You can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Ok, thanks. Can you post the query I need to run? Thanks again.

Comment

Sorry, I don't know what query would do this. I'm sure someone else will know.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Hi Steve, I see your answer below that it is not possible to limit an inserted image size.

Is there a way to edit the BB Code (or what ever is used for insert image) to restrict the pixel width of inserted images? This would be nice so users don't post a image that is 2000 wide.

Originally posted by malljack
                            2. Could I limit the size on any image? I know I can set the attachment size, etc but what about inserted images?

Comment

If this is possible, it requires modifying the vB code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Working...
                              X