Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup/Restore question

Hi all,

have recently taken over admin of our clan forums and have hit on a "way too many hacks" installed issue. This caused me no end of bother on the last upgrade and is still continuing to cause issues. Given the amount of time I am spending working around these annoyances I am considering reinstalling VB.

However, I wish to keep the users, posts and forums structure.

So bascially I want to take VB back to "vanilla" status and retain all the data. I have created several backups of the DB in various places (via phpmyadmin and ssh) but I am a little lost on how I could acheive what I need without 'importing' all the rubbish I am trying to remove.

Can anyone offer me some advice/solutions on this issue?

Thanks in advance

Mark

The install + import method can certainly work. The only possible hurdle is if the hacks have altered the default tables and columns, which could cause problems with the import.

Basically you would install a fresh copy of vBulletin into a new database. Then download ImpEx from the members area. Edit the ImpExConfig.php file with the appropriate information for both databases, and upload the impex directory. Then run the import in your:

Admin CP -> Import & Maintenance

Comment

so, in theory...

my current forum install is in /forums
      I make a new install to /forum (or anything)
      current database is called forums
      new database called forum

Set the new forum up with the old still running and import the old info into the new one? if it fails I have lost nothing i guess but is it ok to run two vb installs like this?

Comment

Originally posted by spesh
        so, in theory...

my current forum install is in /forums
        I make a new install to /forum (or anything)
        current database is called forums
        new database called forum

Set the new forum up with the old still running and import the old info into the new one?
        Yep, that's the idea.

Originally posted by spesh
        if it fails I have lost nothing i guess but is it ok to run two vb installs like this?
        Yes, it's OK to run two installations for this purpose.

Comment

ok, just tried a test run of this and it appears to work pretty well. It failed to pull over forum permissions but that isnt a biggy.

Good news, makes the job a whole lot easier

Thanks for the help.

Mark

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X