copying old forums to new installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copying old forums to new installation

I recently had the hard drive crash in my server. I installed a new drive and rebuilt the machine - not a big deal. I reinstall vbulletin, and it seems to be running fine. I have a copy of all my old web files (including the old forums) on a DVD I used as a backup just in case this kind of thing happened.

How can I replace the newly installed forum with the old one? Or, perhaps more accurately... how can I replace the settings and threads in the new installation with those from the old? Did that make any sense?

TIA.

All the data from the old forums in in the database. Do you have a backup of the database itself?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

yes, I do... I basically have a copy of the old hard drive. It's got everything I need, it's just a week old, so some of the threads will be lost, but that's far better than starting from scratch again.

Comment

Then you will need to copy the actual MySQL database files to the approprisate location on the server.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Great, thanks. Will that include the forum styles, user profiles, etc.?

OK... if you can follow along with this...
          On the DVD that has the backed up HD files, I went into the MySQL directory, into BBS (where the forum files are), copied them all, pasted them into the MySQL/BBS directory on the production server. All files were moved, but whene I tried to access the forums though a browser, I got nothing. The page loaded, but it was an empty page. No content, but no errors either.

Am I missing something, or are there just waaaay to many variables for you to even try to answer this?
          Last edited by jacksonpt; Fri 3 Dec '04, 10:26am.

Comment

Yes, the database includes all the data.

Sorry but I couldn't follow the rest of what you wrote. Make sure the db files are chown'd and chmod'd correctly, and that you have setup the appropriate database user and password and edited config.php accordingly.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

OK... nevermind - looks like the copy did work afterall.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X