Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a "FRESH" install without losing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a "FRESH" install without losing...

Hi all,

I have a couple questions. I have been running vb3 for about 8 months, and it seems that everytime I upgrade or need to change the look/theme of the site, or do any sort of major overhaul to the board, I install a clean version of the script, then have to throw the old database (With any template quirks from a previous theme/skin), then go back and try and remove all of the previous style/template variables that were added. It seems that over time, this is quite a task in itself.

What I'm wondering is this, the only thing about the board DB that I really care about are; threads, posts, and all user data. What I'm wanting to be able to do is this, I want to be able to "backup" only these portions of the database instead of it's entirety, then erase the pre-existing board, install a BRAND NEW script, then add the backedup posts/userdata back into the database.

The issue is that, I am not certain of all of the tables / database info that I will need to backup so that I don't lose any of it in the process.

It would be a nice feature to have where I can just run a script that strips everything back to default values, except for threads, posts and userdata.

If someone could provide me with a table list of ALL board "content and user info", I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Why go though all that trouble just to upgrade?

The upgrade scripts upgrade the database just fine...

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
      Why go though all that trouble just to upgrade?

The upgrade scripts upgrade the database just fine...
      You're right, what I'm trying to do is install a fresh vbulletin on a clean site (no files on it), and import my users / posts / threads, but I'm unsure which tables contain all of the necessary info for this process.

The purpose of this, is that over time, and manipulating the vb templates to fit a certain design theme, it will keep pieces of the modified templates during an upgrade, and sometimes break a javascript, or a table somewhere etc..

So, basically, I just want to be able to del *.* to my site, upload a fresh copy, and import the users/posts/threads/pms (all of the content), and none of the templates.

Comment

You can do that with impex but i still think you are really going overboard on your upgrad prefrences.

Comment

You can upgrade your vBulletin version to 3.0.3 and that will get you the latest language & style files. Build a new default style using the style manager and set it as default. Then you are all set.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
            You can do that with impex but i still think you are really going overboard on your upgrad prefrences.
            It's not for an upgrade, it's for a "fresh" install. I've already upgraded. What I'm wanting to do is wipe the site clean, start over with default values from a fresh install of vb, then import the user/thread/post database on top of it. So I have a clean vbulletin install to work with.

My understanding of how the vbulletin template system has become more refined since I originally started messing with it, and now I have much better ways to do what I had setup before, but can't seem to get it back to a clean install without losing my user data and content.

BTW, what is "impex"?

Comment

You could add a new style and work from there. But Impex will be your best solution if you wish to do what you are planning.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X