Time Zone Offset Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Zone Offset Problem

Please can you definatively explain how the Admin CP Time Zone Offset works?

I have an issue with a board I manage. The server is in Houston, Texas. So I have set the Admin CP time offset to GMT -6 (Central Time). However, the time on the message board reads one hour ahead when I am logged in and when I am not.

So, I have changed the time offset to different variables and still the time remains one hour ahead. The only occasion it does not is when I set my User CP time to the WRONG time zone. I am on the East Coast of the USA and when I set the User CP to EST (GMT -5), as it should be, it is still one hour ahead.

Finally, last night, I set the Admin CP time to GMT and turned OFF daylight savings. Eureka, the time was correct. BUT, this morning it was wrong again and had reverted to one hour ahead.

This is so frustrating. Please can someone offer an explanation on what to do and how the Admin CP time setting impacts the User CP time setting, if at all.

Many thanks for your assistance.

If it is 1 hour off, then your user's DST setting is most likely to blame:

User CP -> Edit Options

Under the Date & Time Options category there is a DST option.

Comment

You need to set the timezone and DST settings in the Admin CP to match the timezone of the server your forums are running on. Then each user needs to set their local timezones/DST in the User CP.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I understand, but the users (including me) have set the option to automatically detect DST. When the DST option is turned off, it makes no difference. When it is forced to 'ON', it adds another hour!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          You need to set the timezone and DST settings in the Admin CP to match the timezone of the server your forums are running on. Then each user needs to set their local timezones/DST in the User CP.
          Indeed, this is EXACTLY what I did and the time still reads one hour ahead. No matter what I changed the Admin CP time to, still one hour ahead!

Comment

All I can say is if all the settings are correct, there should nbe no time problems. I don't know what else to suggest.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

i am having a similar problem, except my offset does nothing... makes no difference at all...

any help?

Comment

If the timezone settings are correct then the time will be correct.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Here is a good one.

I am fully one day and a few hours off. What is that all about???
                  This is after I did a server move.

Comment

If you are a whole day off, then that is most likely a problem with your server's clock. Ask your host to check the clock on your server.

Comment

sorry to bump this, but I'm experiencing the same problem

Server time is set to GMT
                      Admin CP has it set to GMT -5 (Eastern) as we hoped, and we've set DST to on (because it's currently DST)

I go into the UserCP, and set my settings to GMT - 5, auto detect, and it's currently telling me it's 6:18, when it's only 5:18.

What did I do wrong?

Comment

Months ago, I had the same problem -- wrong offset -- and we finally tracked it down to the server. In fact, for the longest time, our sysadmins were convinced the server time was properly set, but in Linux there are two ways to set the time and only one was set. Double and triple check your server settings.
                        Cause change

Comment

I showed that to my other tech guy (I do everything ON the server, he does the actual server stuff) and now it's working correctly, thank you very much

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X