Adding Menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Menu

Hello (Jake?)... I have added left and right columns from this thread. In the left column, I would like to add a TreeMenu from this site I think I have the code right to make it happen but I am not sure as to WHERE to put it. Every time I insert what I think is what I need... I just see the actual code on my page when I refresh.

Do I add something into the headinclude? Pretty much lost.... Any help to point me in the right direction would be great.

It looks like that menu uses javascript. Generally you would put the javascript code into the headinclude template. The javascript would be the code between the <script></script> tags.

Comment

Hmmmm.... it also uses a php file (TreeMenu.php) and a js file (TreeMenu.js) to create it. below is a php file that it used as an example. I haven't don't any thing to the below and it works as a standalone, but I am not sure what or where to put some of its parts into vbulletin.

PHP Code:
      <?php

require_once('TreeMenu.php');

//require_once('../TreeMenu.php');

$icon         'folder.gif';

$expandedIcon 'folder-expanded.gif';

$menu  = new HTML_TreeMenu();

$node1   = new HTML_TreeNode(array('text' => "First level"'link' => "test.php"'icon' => $icon'expandedIcon' => $expandedIcon'expanded' => true), array('onclick' => "alert('foo'); return false"'onexpand' => "alert('Expanded')"));

$node1_1 = &$node1->addItem(new HTML_TreeNode(array('text' => "Second level"'link' => "test.php"'icon' => $icon'expandedIcon' => $expandedIcon)));

$node1_1_1 = &$node1_1->addItem(new HTML_TreeNode(array('text' => "Third level"'link' => "test.php"'icon' => $icon'expandedIcon' => $expandedIcon)));

$node1_1_1_1 = &$node1_1_1->addItem(new HTML_TreeNode(array('text' => "Fourth level"'link' => "test.php"'icon' => $icon'expandedIcon' => $expandedIcon)));

$node1_1_1_1->addItem(new HTML_TreeNode(array('text' => "Fifth level"'link' => "test.php"'icon' => $icon'expandedIcon' => $expandedIcon'cssClass' => 'treeMenuBold')));

$node1->addItem(new HTML_TreeNode(array('text' => "Second level, item 2"'link' => "test.php"'icon' => $icon'expandedIcon' => $expandedIcon)));

$node1->addItem(new HTML_TreeNode(array('text' => "Second level, item 3"'link' => "test.php"'icon' => $icon'expandedIcon' => $expandedIcon)));

$menu->addItem($node1);

$menu->addItem($node1);

// Create the presentation class

$treeMenu = &new HTML_TreeMenu_DHTML($menu, array('images' => '../images''defaultClass' => 'treeMenuDefault'));

$listBox  = &new HTML_TreeMenu_Listbox($menu, array('linkTarget' => '_self'));
      ?>
      <html>
      <head>
          <style type="text/css">
              body {
                  font-family: Georgia;
                  font-size: 11pt;
              }

.treeMenuDefault {
                  font-style: italic;
              }

.treeMenuBold {
                  font-style: italic;
                  font-weight: bold;
              }
          </style>
          <script src="TreeMenu.js" language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"></script>
      </head>
      <body>

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
      <!--
          a = new Date();
          a = a.getTime();
      //-->
      </script>

<?$treeMenu->printMenu()?>
      <?$listBox
      ->printMenu()?>

</body>
      </html>

Comment

If the menu is generated by a PHP file, then you can capture the output of that file by adding this code to your phpinclude_start template:

Code:
        ob_start();
        require("path/filename.php");
        $tree_menu = ob_get_contents();
        ob_end_clean();
        Now you can use $tree_menu in your templates and it will parse to the HTML of the menu as generated by filename.php.

Comment

Well after further review of this thing, I am wondering if I really need to have all of it, this is how it works.

The basic procedure to create a menu is only three steps:

1. Create a TreeMenu object and a tree of TreeNodes, one node for each menu item.
          2. Create a Presentation object for the type of menu you wish to display.
          3. Print it (generate the HTML and JavaScript).

Above <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD..... add:
          PHP Code:
          <?php

$pgEmailSubj 
          'HTML_TreeMenu_Page';

// Control dynamic style sheet

$styleBodyIndent=true;

$styleBodyBGcolor="#FFDBB7";

if (
          file_exists'TreeMenuXL.php' ))
              include_once( 
          'TreeMenuXL.php' );
            else 
              include_once( 
          $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/bin/TreeMenuXL.php' );

// Menu00 -- Based on the original example
            // Should be as basic as possible.

$menu00  = new HTML_TreeMenuXL();

$nodeProperties = array("icon"=>"folder.gif");

$node0 = new HTML_TreeNodeXL("INBOX""#"$nodeProperties);

$nx = &$node0->

addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("A Folder""#link1"$nodeProperties));

$nx = &$nx->

addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("Nested Folder""#link2"$nodeProperties));

$nx = &$nx->

addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("Deeper ...""#link3"$nodeProperties));

$nx = &$nx->

addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("... and Deeper""#link4"$nodeProperties));

$node0->addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("deleted-items""#link5"$nodeProperties));

$node0->addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("sent-items",    "#link6"$nodeProperties));

$node0->addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("drafts",        "#link7"$nodeProperties));    

$node0->addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("spam",          "#link8"$nodeProperties));    

$menu00->addItem($node0);

$menu00->addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("My Stuff",     "#link9"$nodeProperties));

$menu00->addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("Other Stuff",  "#link10"$nodeProperties));

$menu00->addItem($node0);

// Menu03 -- This uses no icons.  The plus/minus are still present

$nodeProperties = array("cssClass"=>"auto");

$menu03  = new HTML_TreeMenuXL();

$node03  = new HTML_TreeNodeXL("INBOX""#"$nodeProperties);

$nx = &$node03->

addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("A Folder""#link1"$nodeProperties));

$nx = &$nx->

addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("Nested Folder""#link2"$nodeProperties));

$nx = &$nx->

addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("Deeper ...""#link3"$nodeProperties));

$nx = &$nx->

addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("... and Deeper""#link4"$nodeProperties));

$node03->addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("deleted-items""#link5"$nodeProperties));

$node03->addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("sent-items",    "#link6"$nodeProperties));

$node03->addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("drafts",        "#link7"$nodeProperties));    

$node03->addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("spam",          "#link8"$nodeProperties));    

$menu03->addItem($node03);

$menu03->addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("My Stuff",      "#link9"$nodeProperties));

$menu03->addItem(new HTML_TreeNodeXL("Other Stuff",   "#link10"$nodeProperties));

$menu03->addItem($node03);

?>
          right after above add:
          Code:
          <script src="TreeMenu.js" language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"></script>
          Then to call it all:
          Code:
                <?php 
                  // Create the presentation object
                  $example010 = &new HTML_TreeMenu_DHTMLXL($menu00, array("images"=>"TMimages"));
                  $example010->printMenu();
                ?>

Comment

Sorry, forgot to add... I wonder if I could just put the php and script into a template and then use the presentation object to get it to show.... a working php file is here at www.4xtraders.com/menu/ and click on test.php

Comment

Originally posted by plan_b
              Sorry, forgot to add... I wonder if I could just put the php and script into a template and then use the presentation object to get it to show.... a working php file is here at www.4xtraders.com/menu/ and click on test.php
              That should work with the method I posted, except you will probably have problems with the relative paths of some of the elements in the source of that page. For example:

Code:
              <script src="TreeMenu.js" language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"></script>
              This will look for TreeMenu.js in your forum directory. The same problem exists for all of the image references in the source. Look at all of the folder.gif references.

Comment

ok... as I am going to be also creating a main index page (outside of the /forum) I was wondering if I should just use the full path with every thing

Comment

If you are referencing that menu from different directories, then it would probably be best to use full paths. For example:

Code:
                  <script src="[color=red]/menu/[/color]TreeMenu.js" language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"></script>

Comment

ok... get'n a blank area that the menu should be. This is what I got/done:

phpinclude_start
                    ob_start();
                    require("/menu/test.php");
                    $tree_menu = ob_get_contents();
                    ob_end_clean()

and I am using $tree_menu in my column

with:
                    <script src="/menu/TreeMenu.js" language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"></script>
                    in the /menu/test.php

Any ideas?

Comment

bump

Comment

Any one have an idea of how I can do this?

Comment

Try using a full server path in the require line. For example:

/home/yoursite/public_html/menu/test.php

Your full server path might be different.

Comment

are items in a js file the same as javascript?

Comment

js files are javascript files, yes. They contain javascript code.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X