Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Techguy1
    replied
    Check out this set up here, you can see how I use primary and additional usergroups by numbers. The screenshot doesnt cover publicly joinable usergroups (3).

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    For example, you have 3 primary groups for your forum members. Each group has a different set of permissions.

Now you add a new private forum. You want some people from each of the 3 groups to have access to the private forum. Secondary groups are ideal here. With only primary groups, you would need to duplicate all 3 groups and give the duplicate groups the original group permissions plus access to the new private forum. Then you would move your users to the appropriate group of the 3 new groups to grant them access.

With secondary groups, you can keep your original 3 groups, create 1 secondary group, grant access for the secondary group, and add people as secondary members. The permissions will overlap, so the primary says No but the secondary says Yes, resulting in an overall Yes.

Secondary groups allow you to manage special permissions indepentently of your primary groups.

Leave a comment:

• Techguy1
    replied
    Well, I'll tell you how I use it.
    Say, someone is a member of our forums, i.e. a "Registered Member". Say, I want him to be able to be a Newsletter Contributor (one usergroup) and a Gem Contributor (thats like an article thing) (another usergroup). Now, rather than creating a third usergroup to hold the permissions of Newsletter Contribs and Gem Contribs, I can just add him to these two groups, and all permissions, based on whichever is more, apply.

Leave a comment:

• Dennis Olson
    started a topic Primary versus secondary usergroups

Primary versus secondary usergroups

I would deeply appreciate the rationale behind the alternate usergroup function in vB3x. I'm afraid I just DON'T GET IT. What's it for, how would one employ it, and why? What are the benefits and liabilites (and ramifications) of employing them?

Thanks!!!
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X