Why the ".php?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the ".php?"

Every vBulletin forum, eversite with it on, including mine, the page.php?s=3e834578 blah is hardly shown but there is always a "?" after the php extension on every single page, why ? Why is this used? I mean on my old phpBB and ipb it was just index.php and login.php with vBulletin its like search.php? and portal.php? curios to now with this is used

kaz

It's the method used to transfer information between web pages. Have you ever taken Java/ASP? Those courses explain it in eye-bleeding detail.

Comment

Like RSS syndication?

Comment

In .php you can add commands to the url string.

newthread.php?do=newthread (make a new thread)

newthread.php?do=submit (submit the new thread)

newthread.php?do=preview (preview the new thread)

the above is simplified for easy example.

This way a single web page can hold functions for various code.

The .php page has

if do == submit { code for submitting the new thread }
        if do == preview { code for not submitting, but for previewing before we submit the new thread }
        else { we want to make a new thread }

something like that.

Comment

In vb3 the session hash is cleaned up so the search index bots find the pages more friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
            In vb3 the session hash is cleaned up so the search index bots find the pages more friendly.
            Ahhh, now I understand, do search engines pick up rss and do news aggregretors pick up the RSS automatically if RSS is on ?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X