PMs remain marked "unread" even when they've been read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMs remain marked "unread" even when they've been read

Hi there, I hope someone can help me with this, as something seems to be wrong with the "unread" Private Message functionality on my board: Even after I read a PM it remains marked with the "unread message" icon within my Inbox, and is still counted as unread within my navbar at the top of each page ("Welcome, E2E. You last visited: [blah]; Private Messages: 1 Unread, Total X"), unless I manually mark it as read. The only similar post I could find up here that had any suggested solutions recommended performing a "Repair/Optimise Tables" and so I've done so on my PM, PMReceipt, and PM Text table but that hasn't had any effect. Can anybody suggest another possible fix?

(I hope I'm explaining that adquately but please let me know if further explanation or screen shots would help. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! =)

In the Admin CP, open the Server Settings and Optimization Options section and turn on the Public phpinfo() Display Enabled setting. Then provide the URL to your forums. This may help us troubleshoot this problem.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Okay, I've enabled the Public phpinfo() display;

Thanks so much for checking into this -- please let me know if there's any other info you'd like me to provide!
      Last edited by E2E; Sun 10 Oct '04, 12:57pm.

Comment

This is most likely a problem with Windows. Edit init.php -

find this:
        define('NOSHUTDOWNFUNC', false);

change to:
        define('NOSHUTDOWNFUNC', true);
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I've had this happen due to the action of pop up blockers (such as the ones built into Internet Explorer 6 and the Google toolbar). Adjust the settings so that you don't block pop ups on your site with either of these (or any other pop up blocking software).
          The Admin Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators
          Articles - Forum Review
          Interviews:
          KierScottJerryAndreasSteveWayneJakeFlorisLogicianErwin
          Paul M

Comment

Originally posted by the Sandman
            I've had this happen due to the action of pop up blockers (such as the ones built into Internet Explorer 6 and the Google toolbar). Adjust the settings so that you don't block pop ups on your site with either of these (or any other pop up blocking software).
            Yeah, I'd thought of that one, popup blockers have given me troubles in the past, too -- but this time, at least, that doesn't seem to be the case...Thanks for the suggestion, though! For now I'll give Steve's change to the init.php file a go and see if that works...*fingers crossed*

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              This is most likely a problem with Windows. Edit init.php -

find this:
              define('NOSHUTDOWNFUNC', false);

change to:
              define('NOSHUTDOWNFUNC', true);
              Ah, that worked like a charm -- thanks very much for your help!

Comment

Would applying this fix disable the "xxx viewing" for each forum on index.php?

[Edit] Well, actually it disabled that, the list of people viewing each forum, vB's mailing system and a host of other stuff. It did, however, fix the Unread PM issue, but broke so much stuff that I'd rather live with manually marking PMs as read. [/Edit]
                Last edited by Daveh; Sat 27 Nov '04, 11:57pm.

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but what with the vBulletin 3.0.5 upgrade coming out I've found that this problem (of Private Messages not updating to reflect when I've read one) has re-occurred...while of course I could just re-apply the fix suggested last time, Daveh was correct in that this fix did break a host of other things, such as the ability to see how many users are viewing a particular forum at any given time. Is there any other way of fixing this such that I -don't- break these other features?
                  Last edited by E2E; Fri 14 Jan '05, 5:57am.

Comment

E2E are you sure you uploaded all of the 3.0.5 files? The other things should no longer break if you make this change in init.php.

Comment

Ah, you know, perhaps I hadn't had them all uploaded before - I've given the whole thing another try and it's all working just fine now (Duh! =P) Thanks very much for your help! =)

Comment

Did you still need to set NOSHUTDOWNFUNC to true?

Comment

I didn't need to.

Comment

Until 3.0.5 PMs on my forums would have to be marked read manually, this wasn't the case in 3.0.5 where they would behave as expected. Unfortunately in 3.0.6 they are back to requiring a manually mark-as-read.
                            I'm a little hesitant to set NOSHUTDOWNFUNC to true as I can't do without the email features that broke last time I tried this fix.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X