Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"File system directory is not writable." for some users when uploading images...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "File system directory is not writable." for some users when uploading images...

It's not happening to all users, but just some now. I have never seen this problem before. I uploaded to 3.0.3 Sunday night, not sure if that's related.

For the ones it's happening, it is any image format, including jpg, gif, and png.

The two users that have reported it are frequent users and image posters.

My forum uses the directory image storage method and we have 5.2 GB of attachments stored so far.

Thank you,
    rob

I can't think of any reason this would happen to some users but not others. Just out of curiousity, have you installed any hacks (including portals) or added any code to the headinclude, header or phpinclude templates?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      I can't think of any reason this would happen to some users but not others. Just out of curiousity, have you installed any hacks (including portals) or added any code to the headinclude, header or phpinclude templates?
      No php modifications except in templates. Only one of these modified is the header template for my custom banner ad software.

Only listing in "Find Updated Templates" now is postbit...

postbit
      Default Template Updated in 3.0.2 by freddie
      Your Custom Template Last Edited in 3.0.1 by rob328gts

To my knowledge, this problem only started after Sunday's update to 3.0.3. Related to postbit or header updates?

Comment

Try this. Create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Then have these users change to this style and view your forums with it. Do they still have the same problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Try this. Create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Then have these users change to this style and view your forums with it. Do they still have the same problem?
          I've had one user so far test this and they still get the error.

The 3 users that have reported the problem so far have 1464, 554, and 1930 posts respectively. So they are pretty active users, but I have many that don't have any problems with more posts.

I'll start asking them what browser and version they're using.

How does vB store images in a directory? One directory or various levels? Any system limitations after so many images or now that we've crossed 5 gb?

Comment

Check the premissions of the relevant directories. Assuming the userid is '1234' the directory will be:

<attachmentdirectory>/1/2/3/4

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Check the premissions of the relevant directories. Assuming the userid is '1234' the directory will be:

<attachmentdirectory>/1/2/3/4
              Read for all and Owner can Write.

All of these users belong to the Subscribed Primary Group, but don't know if that's technical or the users that contribute are the ones that use the site and post images the most.

Comment

What happens if you chmod all the appropriate directories to 777?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Not everyone is having problems and all the other users have the exact same permissions as they do.

Looking at the size of the folders it looks like definite cutoff points. All of these users with problems have 12288 size folders. But the other increments are 16384, 20480...

Seems like you are allocating space in chunks, is that not working now for these users, the new increment hasn't worked?

Comment

So far just seems like that one primary group with problems and appears to have just started in past 24 hours.

I'm running the optimize/fix on db to see if anything up.

Should I run the Fix Unique Indexes? Any risk to running that, like if I have custom post counts brought over from my old board.

Comment

I've now mostly confirmed that only one usergroup is having the problem, but not everyone in that usergroup. Seems to be ones that have crossed an unidentified threshold.

Comment

Still same problem.

Comment

One of the Developers will need to comment on this. I have no idea what the problem could be.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

One of the Developers will need to comment on this. I have no idea what the problem could be.
                            Is this thread fine or do I need to do a bug report?

Comment

I don't think this is a bug but you can try posting in the Bug Tracker if you want. However if you have any hacks or non-vB code installed, I suggest you remove this first to see if you still have this problem with the original vB code. This includes any code added to the header, headinclude or phpinclude templates.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X