Dev server installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dev server installation

I had successfully installed vb3 on my production server just to see how easy it was (and it was!).

I then proceeded to install it on my dev server (I know, wrong way around) and being a Very Intelligent Guy I managed to use the same config.php file so it went ahead and emptied my production db (I should have realized what was going on when it said I already had a db...).

But no sweat, had not started setting things up yet. At least now I know I have contact with my remote mySQL server from my dev box...

Well, to the point: I have edited the config.php to state that I want installation on my local box and using the localhost mySQL db. But it STILL goes on to empty my remote db. It does not install to my local mySQL at all. I have ran the test script and everything passes so I don't know what's up.

Is this a caching problem or something? I now seem unable to get a working version up on my dev box...
    Tormod Guldvog
    Hypography - Science for everyone // Science Forums

No, there is no cache involved. This is almost certainly a configuration issue in config.php.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

This is what I have in my config.php file:

$servername = 'localhost';

I have created an emtpy db for use with my test installation. Yet vb claims I already have an installation and would I like to empty it or upgrade. Either choice messes up my production server...!
      Tormod Guldvog

Comment

This is really strange. I created a new database, edited the config.php, rebooted my computer...and the same thing happens again.

Step 2) Connect to the database

Attempting to attach to database

Connection succeeded! The database already exists.

You have already installed vBulletin do you wish to upgrade?

Do you wish to empty your database?
        How can this be? Am I missing something obvious? I have never run an installation with these files on my dev server. So I don't understand why vb claims it's already there...
        Tormod Guldvog

Comment

Is this server accessible from the outside? If so, fill out a support ticket at:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/mem...ontactform.php

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP. Please also include a complete description of the problem.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Am I required to use localhost instead of a development url?
            Tormod Guldvog

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              Is this server accessible from the outside? If so, fill out a support ticket at...
              It is reachable but there is no FTP server and I am having severe problems because whatever I do affects the production server.

I will try an offline install and see what happens when it cannot talk to my remote database.
              Tormod Guldvog

Comment

When I took the server offline it turned out that the config.php the I was editing for some reason was NOT the one in the /vbtest.

This is very strange...because I opened the file, edited it, saved it --- but on reopen it still had my remote server info.

So I deleted the entire fileset, set the things up again and this time I got it to work.

Now I have to redo my production server install from scratch.......
                Tormod Guldvog

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X