Custom profile field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom profile field

I have a custom profile field for system use. It's normally numeric.
    It is set to Hidden. Despite of it having a default value of 0, all new registrations come with no entry... Bug?
    HFT Online - Professional computer help ... with a personal touch

oh btw whether or not i make it required has no effectq

Comment

What are the exact parameters of this custom field?
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

well, the default is supposed to be 0. When clicking on announcements and certain system messages, I have a script that will add a ",1" or ",2" depending on which link user clicks, this way the same link will not be displayed to the user again...

my script splits the variable by comma into an array and does an in_array check...

Comment

this way, the value of the field may be "0", "0,1,2", "0,3" and so on. But for new registrations it's blank

Oh in case you are asking for settings, see attachment...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Techguy1; Thu 7 Oct '04, 5:09am.

Comment

Since this is a custom script you've added, you should ask for help with this at vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

It has no relevance to this. whether or not my script it used, the field is still not filled out at registration!...

Comment

We do not support hacks, try recreating the same issue without a hacked board.

Comment

Let me be honest, Zachery, I am trying very hard to write this post without much swearing.

If you actually bothered to read my posts, I mentioned this error has no relation to the script, and is reproducable at an unhacked board. I realize your desire to unload most problems to vb.org, but why not actually try and check something out - it's not that hard, and quite possible part of your job description.

Anyway, now that I am finished with my rant, the steps are once again these: create a custom profile field with the settings as per attachment, new users will not have the field filled out.

Comment

I see what you mean now. IU dupliucated this on my test forum.

The problem is that when you choose 'Single Line Text' as the type, it creates this field as 'mediumtext'. That filed type cannot have a default value as per MySQL, and if you try to add one by manually editing this field in the database, you get this error:

Error

SQL-query :

ALTER TABLE `userfield` CHANGE `field6` `field6` MEDIUMTEXT DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL

MySQL said:

#1101 - BLOB column 'field6' can't have a default value
                    I honestly don't know if this is by design, a limitation of MySQL or it could be considered a 'bug'. I suggest posting this in the Bug Tracker so a Dev can look and comment on this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Hmm, looks like a mySQL bug, I'll play around with the DB and see what can be done. Perhaps we can use a different datatype. Until 3.0 it used NOTE, but that was too short.

Comment

I also got a problem with profile field

They seem to intertwine when doing an edit profile. Even though I set one of them to display in another page.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I uninstalled the hack, tried on a fresh copy, I am still having the problem of profile field interfering with each other. In the image above, it is field 19, which was set to appear on a different page, is displaying in profile. Is that a known issue? Is there a fix?

Comment

I fixed my issue by making the first group all viewable. Also the second group was missing a closing fieldset. However, I think that there is a bug. If a field is set as hidden, not viewable on profile, it behaves erratically when editing profile. Either it should not show at all in edit (which is no good if editable) or the one that says to display in another page should not interfere.

Comment

Now, since I did not want those to display to all in profile, and since the issue can be corrected only by doing so, is there a conditional I could use in template so nobody sees those fields when viewing a member profile? something like <if !conditions $customfields ==field6,field7 etc...>display the other ones</> ?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X