Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant upload custom avatars - please help

Ive got a new vbulletin hosted on a windows 2003 server

The forum is working fine but when you try to upload a custom avatar the page just refreshes and has "no avatar" selected again

I am having this problem on my forum and a forum I setup for one of our clients
    I think its permissions based but I cant change the customavatars folder to 777 because its a windows 2003 server???

I've run the upload diagnostics and get this

file_uploads: On
    open_basedir: None
    safe_mode: Off
    upload_tmp_dir: None
    upload_max_filesize: 2M
    Results:
    The attached file's temporary location (C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\phpA7B8.tmp) could not be found. The test cannot continue.

Any help would be great as I've never run a vb forum on windows 2003 before but need to for the clients asp based e-commerce site and they are screaming at me about custom avatars

Thanks

I have just found out fasthosts (www.fasthosts.co.uk) who we host all of our websites with REFUSE to change the permissions on any directories and say they've never heard of vbulletin!

I am shocked!!

Comment

For PHP uploads to work on this server, your host will need to edit php'ini to include the location of an upload_tmp_dir that is world-readable and writable. If they refuse to do this, I strongly recommend finding a better host.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

How To Setup Avatar Usage

Maybe go through that thread and see if you have setup everything properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          For PHP uploads to work on this server, your host will need to edit php'ini to include the location of an upload_tmp_dir that is world-readable and writable. If they refuse to do this, I strongly recommend finding a better host.
          I've had to give up and move the site to one of their linux servers instead because the file upload just doesnt work on their win2k3 servers

Not impressed I may one day move to a different host that can provide the service

Is it hard to backup the mysql database and then import if we do move to a new host in the future?

Comment

No it is not(if they will make a dump for you via the command line, or your database is small enough to backup via phpmyadmin), and i have had no issues on Windows 2k3 as long as the upload_tmp_dir is set correctly, and as long as IUSER has world access to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
              No it is not(if they will make a dump for you via the command line, or your database is small enough to backup via phpmyadmin), and i have had no issues on Windows 2k3 as long as the upload_tmp_dir is set correctly, and as long as IUSER has world access to it.
              Damnit!

It just keeps failing with cant find file - moved to a linux server and its worked first time

They have the upload_tmp_dir set to nothing
              Which defaults to c:\windows\temp and they insist that it should work ok
              But it doesnt seem to

So I need to ask them if the c:\windows\temp directory has IUSR write access??

Got to say im not very impressed with fasthosts technical support so far

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X