Browser X Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browser X Files

Thought a poll would be useful and the topic would allow us to express the various irregularities we have come across. (though a Mod will probably need to edit the poll as I am bound to leave a browser / system configuration out).

I'll get the ball rolling. I am on a Mac running Netscape 7 (but sometimes Safari and Firefox to add a little spice to my browsing life).

I came across a strange irregularity the other day on my forum. When I clicked on a sub forum to view an old thread I wanted to re-visit I couldn't find the thread. So I ran a search and the thread I was looking for appeared. But when I clicked on the thread I got a DB error. I then opened Safari and not only was the thread in the forum I thought it was in, but when I clicked on it I had no problems in viewing it.

I have closed my various browsers cleared cookies restarted etc. but the irregularity persists.

Anyone else experiencing a "Browser X File"?
    Safari / Mac
    0.00%
    Netscape / Mac
    12.50%
    Firefox / Mac
    0.00%
    Opera / Mac
    0.00%
    IE / Mac
    0.00%
    Netscape / PC
    0.00%
    Firefox / PC
    50.00%
    Opera / PC
    12.50%
    IE / PC
    25.00%

What is the error? The source code of the error page should have the exact error.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      What is the error? The source code of the error page should have the exact error.
      Code:
      Invalid SQL: 
       		SELECT thread.threadid, thread.forumid, thread.title, postusername, postuserid, thread.lastpost, thread.replycount, forum.title AS forumtitle
       			,post.pagetext AS preview
       			, NOT ISNULL(subscribethread.subscribethreadid) AS issubscribed
       		FROM thread AS thread
       		INNER JOIN forum AS forum ON(forum.forumid=thread.forumid)
       		LEFT JOIN deletionlog AS deletionlog ON(deletionlog.primaryid = thread.threadid AND type = 'thread')
       		LEFT JOIN post AS post ON (post.postid = thread.firstpostid)
       		 LEFT JOIN subscribethread AS subscribethread ON(subscribethread.threadid = thread.threadid AND subscribethread.userid = 1)
       		WHERE thread.threadid IN (143) AND thread.1 = 1 AND deletionlog.primaryid IS NULL

ORDER BY lastpost DESC

mysql error: Unknown column 'thread.1' in 'where clause'

mysql error number: 1054

Comment

Have you modified any of the files? You only get this problem in NS7?

Comment

Have you modified any of the files?
          Err, one or two. But nothing extreme, well not in Xenon's class anyway.

You only get this problem in NS7?
          Yep. Just tested it in IE (5.2) Camino (V 0.8) Opera (6.0) Safari (1.2.3) Firefox (0.9.1).

The thread appears in it's correct forum and when I click on it displays fine. Just Netscape (7.1) doesn't like it.

Comment

Well normally I would suspect a file modification as being to blame because the thread table does not have a field named 1.

But the fact that this problem is only happening in NS7 suggests a browser problem.

I would try uploading the original PHP files to see if that fixes the problem.

Comment

I would try uploading the original PHP files to see if that fixes the problem.
              Will do.

I should add that I was not posting a specific problem and expecting a solution. Given that the system worked properly with some browsers but not with others indicated to me that it was a browser / operating system issue rather than a vB issue.

I have come across similar irregularities. Tonight a member sent me a screen shot with the postbit width varying from post to post. When I clicked on the link it displayed as normal. I checked with 2 Mods and they had no problems either. I was just intending to outline some of the localised anomalies that occur with browsers.

Comment

We've tested vBulletin with
                Safari 1.2 (Konqueror 3.2+)
                Mozilla 1.3+ (Includes Netscape 7.1+, Firefox 0.6+, Camino 0.8+)
                IE 4+
                Opera 7+

They all work well though IE for Mac is evil so we wont support it. Each have their own quirks which we report to the developers.

We have 4 bugs in Gecko filed and 4 under Opera though one of the more annoying is fixed in 7.6.
                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                  They all work well though IE for Mac is evil so we wont support it.
                  I hear you brother.

Netscape 7 works great (in fact hacks tend to play better with Netscape than the other Mac browsers, Firefox won’t display the Install button at vB.org). I am using it as Safari doesn't play well with the WYSIWYG editor (sorry but I like my colours) and Firefox has an annoying habit of getting over excited when a request read receipt box appears and locks the browser.

Please note that this error in Firefox is intermittent. It works fine for a few hours then stops, usually when I have several windows opened.

Comment

Mozilla isn't in the list!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X