Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I backup my VB data base with no shell access!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I backup my VB data base with no shell access!

I tried backing up my database using Cpanel but it is backing up half of the database. I have no SSH (shell ) access to my server. How can I back it up?

Backing-up your MySQL Database Manually
    Restoring your MySQL Database Manually

Those links might be of help to you.

Comment

thanks for the link. I backed up the file into my hard drive. Then I followed the second link and upload it in to the server. After I clicked on "go" in myphpadmin nothing happened. I saw my modem is working so it was uploading the file. I waited until my modem stop uploading but I still saw nothing happening. after few minutes I refreshed my data base and there was no restoration of database!

Am I doing something wrong?

Comment

It sounds like the database is too big for an upload through the browser.
        I suggest you manually upload it with your ftp and request your hosting provider to import it for you or give you shell access

Comment

I have Shell access now. When I enter the following command

mysql -u dbusername -p databasename < vb[1].sql.gz

I get an error message! do I have to unzip it before I can restore this database?

This is the error message that I get.

-bash-2.05b$ 6cݺeÜs÷H·Èiáb1|e an 8¬óLaåeÌ>Óx¬Ë¸7¡c syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version foÓê­ÔZ»Gight syntax to use near '°9

ERROR 1064 at line 1: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual t8-bash-2.05b$ 6cERROR 1064 at line 1: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual t8-bash-2.05b$ 6cݺeÜs÷H·Èiáb1|server version for the right syntax to use near '°9

Comment

Yes you will need to unzip it before the server can understand it IIRC, or issue the command to tell it it is ziped and to read it thatway, but i do not know if there is a command or if it exsists.

Comment

Thanks guys, I ungzipped it first and now it works. My forum is alive again

Great support guys. Now I know why I VB rules

Comment

Hey there,

Nice to hear you got it sorted and happy to see you back online again.

Thank you for the kind words.

Comment

Working...
                X