Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please advise on securing upgraded v3 system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Machol
    replied
    It's a script with a set of troubleshooting tools and other fixes for specific problems.

Leave a comment:

• Super Ted
    replied
    whats tools.php for?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Here's some things you can do to increase the level of security for your forums:

1. Upgrade to the latest version.
    2. Do not install any hacks
    3. Password protect your Admin and Mod CPs: http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml
    4. Make sure the getadmin.php (vB2) or tools.php (vB3) file is NOWHERE on your website
    5. If you have phpMyAdmin make sure it's password protected.
    6. Also ask your host to change the login password for your account
    7. Change all your Admin and Mod passwords.

Note your forums are only as secure as the passwords you use and the server it is on. If the server is accessed then there's nothing vB can do to prevent potential security violations.

Leave a comment:

• Super Ted
    replied
    Keep with the current release. Or disable any features that a security flaw, IIRC in the last case it was the calendar.

Leave a comment:

• ixl
    started a topic Please advise on securing upgraded v3 system?

Please advise on securing upgraded v3 system?

Hi..

Yesterday I upgraded from 2.2.6 to 3.0.3, mainly for security reasons (I was getting hack attempts on the board.) Are there any specific steps I need to take now with the new software to minimize the chances of any future problems in this regard?

Thanks for any advice. ... Charles
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X