Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please advise on securing upgraded v3 system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please advise on securing upgraded v3 system?

Hi..

Yesterday I upgraded from 2.2.6 to 3.0.3, mainly for security reasons (I was getting hack attempts on the board.) Are there any specific steps I need to take now with the new software to minimize the chances of any future problems in this regard?

Thanks for any advice. ... Charles

Keep with the current release. Or disable any features that a security flaw, IIRC in the last case it was the calendar.

Comment

Here's some things you can do to increase the level of security for your forums:

1. Upgrade to the latest version.
      2. Do not install any hacks
      3. Password protect your Admin and Mod CPs: http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml
      4. Make sure the getadmin.php (vB2) or tools.php (vB3) file is NOWHERE on your website
      5. If you have phpMyAdmin make sure it's password protected.
      6. Also ask your host to change the login password for your account
      7. Change all your Admin and Mod passwords.

Note your forums are only as secure as the passwords you use and the server it is on. If the server is accessed then there's nothing vB can do to prevent potential security violations.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

whats tools.php for?

Comment

It's a script with a set of troubleshooting tools and other fixes for specific problems.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X