Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing up forums

Hi there,

A member of the vb forum staff gave me some links to help upgrade my forums from 3.0.1 to 3.0.3, however, i am completely stuck at the backing up part.

It asks me whether i wish to back up using SSH/Telnet or phpMyAdmin both of which i have no clue about.

I created my database for my forum via cpanel. I went to MySQL databases and followed the instructions from there.

Can anyone give me an easy to follow idea of how to back up my forums, and when upgrade, how to upload all the backep up data?

Thanks a million to anyone who can help!

Before we continue, could you tell me how big your database is?

Comment

Um, i am not entirely sure what you mean - i think about 32MB.

But just in case i have uploaded a screen print from my cPanel for you to see.

Thanks a lot.
      Attached Files

Comment

The database appears to be small enough in size to make a backup through a browser with. Here is what I suggest you to do:

Goto the Admin Control Panel of your vBulletin forum.

Goto Import & Maintenance.

Click on 'Database Backup'.

Make sure all the tables are [x] checked

Browse down and click on the [Go] button.

It will present you to save to hard drive a .sql dump. Do so.
        Once it is done, open it in WordPad and see if the last line reads:

# Completed #

If you have doubts, you can email your FTP details and Forum details to [email protected] and I will make a .sql dump on your web server so you can download it.

Comment

Floris,

Many thanks for your kind assistance. I tried to do as you said, but i was given an error.

I have emailed you from [email protected] with the said details. Many thanks.

Comment

I have received your details. I will go take a look now. Sorry for the delay, I was occupied with prior work.

Comment

Your forum is a little bit flow from me (from netherlands) so I have closed your forum to avoid users being connected to the database, this way I can make a proper backup.

I have also made a folder in your ftp where I will store the .sql dump. (backup)
              I will give those details in email when it is done. (and let you know in this thread)

Comment

Ok, the backup is completed. I will explain in detail in the Email.

[I also opened your forums again, so guests and members can continue to use it]

Comment

Hi Floris,

I am trying to upload my files over the old ones. However - using smart ftp it keeps on freezing. It is taking forever to do. Is it at all possible to completely delete the old files, and re-upload the new ones? Then add the backup? Is this possible?

I am having a real hard time to upload these files. Before they went in quickly. I have no idea why it is so slow this time -- maybe server slowdown or something?

Comment

Maybe the FTP program tries to skip or resume the files instead of overwriting them. I personally use FlashFXP which is pretty fast and effective.

Note: You don't need the backup. You only need the backup in case the upgrade goes wrong and you need to try again.

Yes, you can delete the vBulletin files from the forum/ directory (and the sub-directories) and then upload the 3.0.3 files. I took a quick look at your forum and I don't think you have a lot of custom work (images for example).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X