Different Navbar for Mac/MSIE 5.x?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Navbar for Mac/MSIE 5.x?

Can anyone help me figure out why users of Macs and MSIE 5.x see a different navbar than everyone else? Turns out they only see "New Posts" and not "Latest Posts," for example, and have a "Mark Forums Read" option that I've never seen in MSIE or Firefox on a PC...

Here's the thread where my users reported it, with a couple of screenshots (MSIE 5.2 versus Safari). I can only guess this is by design... but is there a way to help all users see essentially the same thing? It's odd to say, Click this," and have the user see nothing of the kind.

Because MSIE 5.2 for mac does not have proper support for most of the vBulletin 3 options

Comment

Because MSIE 5.2 for mac does not have proper support for most of the vBulletin 3 options
      I'm glad it's a known issue at least. But since the likely response to the above would be, vBulletin does not properly support MSIE for Mac, any chance you could throw some technobabble my way to appease them? Is it incompatible implemetations of DHTML, XHTML, Javascript, whatever? Does it require Windows components that a Mac just doesn't have (unlikely, since Safari for Mac works)?

Thanks for any ammunition you can provide...

Comment

Well, its not that it does not work, just not all the of the options are avaible, like the drop downs.

Its a bug with MSIE for Mac, which is no longer supported by microsoft.

Comment

Well, its not that it does not work, just not all the of the options are avaible, like the drop downs.
          Thanks. This makes sense to me - the drop-down Thread Tools menu and things like that. Still, the fact that a separate "navbar" element is shown to Mac MSIE 5.x users strikes me as confusing, and I suppose I'm still looking for an explanation.

I didn't even know there wasa "Mark Forums Read" option, for example, as I never see it on my own site with MSIE or Firefox on Windows. Similarly, people who use MSIE 5.x on the Mac didn't know "Latest Posts" existed, as it's not shown to them. Why does this happen? Is there browser detection built into the template/rendering system, and how can I try to make everyone's "navbar" essentially the same?

Comment

It is done so they will have some useablitly.

For systems using IE 5.5+ and Mozilla/Firefox there is the Quick Links Drop down which contains a ton of usefull links

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X