Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rady
    replied
    I have the same problem, but my forum is much smaller (almost 200.000 posts)
    Still, when i run an ip check the forum dies. Any updates on this?

Leave a comment:

• boggseric
    replied
    How much did it help your IP search times? We have 12 million posts and running an IP search kills the forum.

Leave a comment:

• blue_asterisk
    replied
    30 minutes, dual 2.8 Ghz xeons, 4GB Ram - 2.5+ million posts

Originally posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Final result - 6 minutes via the SSH terminal at the command line. (Dual 866 MHz cpu's, 2 GB RAM)

FYI

Thanks for the assistance everyone!

Leave a comment:

• Lee A Burnett
    replied
    In a master/slave mySQL set-up, does the IP search go to the master or the slave?

If it goes to the master, where can I change the code to redirect those searches to the slave server?

Leave a comment:

• Dennis Olson
    replied
    Final result - 6 minutes via the SSH terminal at the command line. (Dual 866 MHz cpu's, 2 GB RAM)

FYI

Thanks for the assistance everyone!

Leave a comment:

• Dennis Olson
    replied
    How long is "a little longer"? If a few ms, that's okay. But for a million+ posts in the table, will the new-record insert-time be excessive?

Leave a comment:

• Scott MacVicar
    replied
    I'd close your forum while its being done as it will lock the entire post table as it builds the index. The only problem is that it will take a little longer to insert entries into the Post table as it rebuilds the index.

Leave a comment:

• Dennis Olson
    replied
    bump again....

Leave a comment:

• Dennis Olson
    replied
    bump for the day shift....

Leave a comment:

• Dennis Olson
    replied
    Thanks Lats. Before I change it, I want to know what issues might arise from the change.

Leave a comment:

• Lats
    replied
    Ouch!! That's bad news Dennis.

Just in case you're wondering what the command is...
    Code:
    ALTER TABLE post ADD INDEX (ipaddress)
    To remove the other index, and put things back to 'normal'...
    Code:
    ALTER TABLE user DROP INDEX ipaddress

Leave a comment:

• Dennis Olson
    replied
    I have over a million posts. I need to be able to perform that function. Do I need to index the IPaddress in the post table as well? If so, what are the ramifications of doing that?

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    It scans the whole post table. and depending on how large that is, this is where your problem lies.

Leave a comment:

• Dennis Olson
    replied
    Pleasse note: After index was installed, atempted an IP search - brought the board to a halt for two hours. What other schema changes are necessary to make this work properly?

Specifically, the query that croaks the database is the one where you searchfor OTHER MEMBERS using that IP address.

Leave a comment:

• Dennis Olson
    replied
    To the vB development team - will this change negatively affect server performance?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X