Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving servers, with 7gb attachments in files

Hello,

I plan on moving my forum to a new server, but I'm faced with a small? problem. Moving the database is pretty easy and I have done that many times with success, but right now the forums have 7gb worth of attachments in files. With the way the files are stored by VB, I don't even want to attempt to get them as files. So the question is, is it possible to get the attachments in the database again, without the risk of ruining the db and the attachments? The server is 2.0 Dual Xeon, so I'm quite confident that won't cause much of a problem.

Thanks

tar your entire attachments directory and copy it server to server (one way... tar the directory, move that tar file to html root, ssh into new server, wget www.yoursite.com/filename.tar. Move the file to where you had it on the old server (hopefully above webroot) and untar it.

You should be downloading them once in a while for backup purposes anyways. I tar them once a week or so and download them.

Comment

I would not put that many attachments in the database. You'd be aslking for trouble. Just tar and gzip them. Also if you have scp on both servers you can use this to transfer the filese directly.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Very good advice.

Make a .sql dump of your database through shell and TAR and GZIP the .sql dump.
        Then login on the other server through ssh and start up FTP (point it to the old server and get the file.tgz)

Comment

tar has a 2GB max file size limit, you might need to use rsync to move them
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Thanks for the tips, what is rsync ?

Comment

From 'man rsync':

DESCRIPTION
              rsync is a program that behaves in much the same way that rcp does, but has many more options and uses the rsync remote-update protocol to greatly speedup file transfers when the destination file already exists.

The rsync remote-update protocol allows rsync to transfer just the differences between two sets of files across the network link, using an efficient checksum-search algorithm described in the technical report that accompanies this package.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

OK. If I move the database to the new server without the old attachments being there, will it screw up anything if I allow the members to post attachments. I will later un-tar the attachments in the right directories?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X